Thursday, May 27, 2010

You Need Power

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:8).

D.L. Moody was a shoe salesman until God moved him into a full-time preaching ministry, often in the streets of Chicago. There came a point in his journey with God that he realized he needed more in his life than what he was experiencing. "At the close of the Sabbath evening services I remember two holy women they would say to me, 'We have been praying for you.' I said, 'Why don't you pray for the people?' They answered, 'You need power.'

'I need power?' I said to myself. Why, I thought I had power. I had a large Sabbath school and the largest congregation in Chicago. I was in a sense satisfied. But then came these two godly women who prayed for me, and their earnest talk about "the anointing for special service" set me thinking.

I asked them to come and talk with me, and we got down on our knees. They poured out their hearts, that I might receive the anointing of the Holy Ghost. And there came a great hunger into my soul. I knew not what it was. I began to cry as I never did before. The hunger increased. I really felt that I did not want to live any longer if I could not have this power for service. I kept on crying all the time that God would fill me with His Spirit.

Well, one day, in the city of New York - Oh, what a day! I cannot describe it; I seldom refer to it; it is almost too sacred an experience to me. Paul had an experience that he never spoke for fourteen years. I can only say, God revealed Himself to me, and I had such an experience of His love.

I went to preaching again. The sermons were no different; I did not present any new truths, and yet hundreds were converted. I would not be placed back where I was before that blessed experience if you would gave me all Glasgow.*

*Elmer Towns, Understanding the Deeper Life, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, MI, 1984, pp. 224, 225

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey pastor, glad to find your blog here. The world cup is coming and suppose my sheep who is a really new believer says he is tempted to place small bets on some of the matches to make watching more exciting.. like $10 bets only. How can i tell him it is not right to do so without sounding too legalistic? Anywhere in the bible that specifically warn against this? looking fwd to hearing your valuable opinion. Thank you Pastor jeff, wish you well.

June 11, 2010 4:33 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi, thanks for the question. As believers, we do not want gamble because it is not a good use of our resources among other reasons.

This matter requires wisdom in helping the NB that you have mentioned.

I suggest that it is best for you to speak to your leader directly such that we can help him/her to the max.

As you have said, we certainly do not want to come across as being legalistic nor do we want to compromise on God's truth.

June 11, 2010 5:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home