Monday, April 13, 2009

Why?

I am known to be preacher with leather lungs. I don’t need to fuss to much over my throat. I may not even need a mic to preach! But from last Tuesday till Friday, it was the first time I had sore throat for such a prolonged period of time. Why?

Knowing that I would be preaching on Easter Sunday, I went to bed early on Saturday night. I intentionally choose to not watch the Sunderland versus Man U game on telly so that I could be rest better for the next day. I went to bed at around 1130pm but I woke up at 1am and I found it hard to get back to sleep. I woke up really tired the next morning. Why?

After such exciting praise and worship and after hearing such an authentic and powerful testimony, I was all prepared to do my part in sharing God’s message. I was shocked to find myself going a little hoarse 5 minutes into the preaching. It got worse and my throat hurt really badly. I had never experienced this before. Some one commented that I sounded like Yoda (from Star Wars) when I was preaching! It was only the first service and I had one more to go. Why?

As I pondered over these stuff, I could sense God saying…

Because I want to let you know how vulnerable you would be without me. If I have wanted to humble you, I only need to take away your voice and there is not much you could do anymore. It is I who put the voice in you to speak on my behalf.

Exodus 4:11-12
The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

Because it is me who is going to work in spite of your tiredness. It is my message and not yours. You may give the imperfect but I will give the perfect through your imperfection.

Throughout this saga, I felt so blessed to have so many brothers and sisters serving along with me and care for me. I have got enough herbal drink to open a stall at Suntec! I was given up to 10 bottles of herbal drinks. I also got lozenges and cough droplets and honey sweets of all sorts. It was incredible. Even until today, I am still getting drinks from people.

Thanks for your tremendous acts of kindness. I appreciate and remember every one of them. Thank you and thank you again.

At the end of the day, God’s message of forgiveness and grace and love rung out so clearly to the people. Why? Because God really loves people!

17 Comments:

Blogger Boon Yeong said...

Pastor Jeff, your posting really encouraged me. Reminded me again that God is in control, not us. Thanks for the encouragement. I am alive because of Jesus.
And amen to the words that the Lord want to speak to you, through your sickness. I pray that the Lord will lay His healing hand unto you and may you get well soon. If cannot get well, then see doctor lo. Hahaha...

April 13, 2009 12:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey pastor, i hope you're feeling better! :) eh thanks really, for giving your best during preaching. it was a really teachable moment for me as well, seeing how you served even through physical discomfort. now easter's come and gone, do take care!

April 13, 2009 2:25 pm  
Anonymous Christine said...

Ps Jeff, THANK YOU for doing your best. Indeed, God was doing His work & He was the one glorified in the end because so so so so many people came to know Him!!! Never saw so many adults receiving Him at one (of Hope's) service before! :) Thank God for all the hard & heart work of His people! So many of our friends were crying the whole time of the testimony ;o Have to put the video up somewhere!

April 14, 2009 2:31 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey Boon Yeong, indeed, God is in total control. No doubt about that!

Thanks jervity, i am better already.

The testimony is really good. It has touched my heart greatly too Christine. Need to check with Media team on how we can max this video for the future.

April 14, 2009 5:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya...3 ladies, one on my left, the other on my right and one more behind me were all teary eyes...all need tissues:-)...thanks for the powerful message of FORGIVENESS this easter!! We are all sinners and we really need God to help us change ...

April 14, 2009 5:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoz Pastor Jeff, no worries, you
done a great job, am sure a lot of the Hope's Members are touched by your preaching last sunday too.

God bless a speedy recovery.

April 14, 2009 8:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you manage to preach the second service?


wilfred

April 15, 2009 8:25 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha... not only did the ladies had teary eyes. I had them too. And I ahve heard the testimony for no less than 5 times! Life transfomration stories are most inspiring.

Am much better after seeing the doc.

Hey Wilfred, did preach in the second service. Drank lots of stuff and the voice was a tat better but still had to struggle through. But again, God was in control!

April 15, 2009 9:46 am  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

hey ps jeff! glad to hear tt ur leather lungs are getting better now... =D prayed for you during my prayer time today! :)

April 17, 2009 12:41 am  
Blogger g said...

hi pastor!
ive seen.. the music you like!
visit christopherkollynsgen.blogspot.com
would like to noe you!
do drop a hi to gemmindownin@hotmail.com or
82688774!
cheers!

April 17, 2009 1:35 am  
Blogger Lish said...

Pastor Jeff!!!!!! (yes i'm excited) I'm Lishia from Hope Kota Kinabalu's student unit. I'd been downloading and listening to many sermons from hope singapore's site and it has blessed me one too many times. I listen to them when I'm doing the thing that I hate the most: jogging. Haha =D Takes my mind off the distance =p

Every time I want to praise you for being such a good preacher, I stop myself and praise God instead. He is so wonderful to have created a person like you!

April 17, 2009 9:17 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks YA for praying. Need that big time.

Hi Ine, will visit the blog :) Thanks for dropping by.

Lish, I am glad that the sermons from our church website have been a help to you; especially when you jog :) Keep listening, learning and applying His word!

April 17, 2009 10:21 am  
Anonymous JL said...

Hey pastor jeff,it amazes me that day to hear you starting to go hoarse at the start of 2nd service's preaching. But,nevertheless,many lives were touched and crossed over to eternal life,guess it goes to show how God is in control despite all these. Pls do take care of your voice well though =)

April 17, 2009 3:43 pm  
Anonymous annoy-nymous said...

Not sure whether your loss of voice was the humbling work of God or the malicious attack of the devil. (I feel it's more of the latter)

Either way, all things work out for the good of those who love him...

April 17, 2009 10:27 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi JL, it is indeed wonderful to see many lives touched. He is indeed in control!

Amen annoy-nymous!

April 17, 2009 11:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU PASTOR JEFF!!!

May 12, 2009 1:53 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks :) let's love God and people together

May 12, 2009 10:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home