Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hope Johannesburg

I had a wonderful time in Hope Johannesburg. The temperature was erratic (as low as 6 degree during spring) but the ministry time went really well. I did not bring enough clothes but thankfully I could still take the cold. Wonder why?

On Saturday, I taught 3 lessons in the seminar. The people were very hungry to learn and it was encouraging to me. I knocked off completely at around 8pm and slept till the next morning!

Sunday was preaching for me followed by DMM. I shared some key leadership concepts with the team and encouraged them to faithfully follow them through. Henry, Alex and I spent the rest of the afternoon together feasting in an African restaurant. I was expecting to suck Elephant trunk but it was not as exotic as I had anticipated. The food was interesting and the fellowship was even better.

Monday morning was spent with Henry in his office. He did his work while I spent time reading. I had lunch with Elvis (yes, the king is alive!) and tea break with Gift (it’s the name of a brother from Malawi but working in Johannesburg). Later on, I had dinner together with all the key leaders in the church. Kingdom work often revolves around food. I am getting fat for the Kingdom sake!

Tuesday lunch was with Ezekiel and the rest of the time was all with Henry. I had a really enjoyable time with Henry. I find Henry to be a very open, honest, genuine person who loves God greatly. He was very open with his weakness and learning. With heart as such, I know that God’s grace will surely befall upon him abundantly. I am really thankful to God for Henry and Lerato.

I am indeed very strengthened by the work here in Hope Johannesburg. The African local leadership has taken what Hope Singapore started some years ago from strength to strength and glory to further glory. The sight of Africans taking responsibility of what God is desiring to do through them for their continent and beyond is most inspiring to me. My joy knows no end!

There were many instances when they remembered the Hope Singapore folks who had actually served or visited them in Johannesburg or people that they had met while they were in Singapore. They readily expressed their heart felt gratitude to many of these people who had played a significant part in their lives. You did good people!

Lastly, thanks to all of you who had prayed for the trip and the team there. It made a big difference. Hope Johannesburg and I are eternally indebted to you!

From the bottom of my heart, thanks for praying, remembering and contributing to Hope Johannesburg.







The same vision all over the world










The service venue






Henry & Lerato Sabata







Coffee Break during cold weather is a must!







Some of the DMM guys







Dinner with the DMM






Self-Portrait while waiting (cool rite?)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back. Suan Kee

August 30, 2007 6:09 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thank you Suan Kee. I am glad to be back!

September 01, 2007 10:35 am  
Blogger longyao said...

Finally you are back.
It is because there is a layer of fat under your skin...ya for kingdom sake you are getting fat. Praise God!!
the photo not only look cool but different...more handsome than real person

September 02, 2007 1:09 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha longyao, this is because I had mastered a way of having my photo taken. Some of the youth leaders taught me!

September 02, 2007 11:41 pm  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Your self-portrait pic looked more like "Beh Song" than cool... ha ha....

September 04, 2007 4:52 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey Andrew, it takes one to know one :)

September 05, 2007 11:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home