Thursday, February 12, 2009

218.97

I came to Manila for a meeting. Part way during the meeting, one of the doctors from our Manila church suggested that we should all go for a blood test. She said that it would be good for us to know how healthy we really are.

Claudia and I signed up. In my mind, I had no doubt that I would pass with flying colours. As I have said before, I only see the doctor no more than once for every 3-5 years. Moreover, the last time I did this test some 3-4 years ago, my health was excellent.

Claudia, on the other hand, might run into some trouble. She does fall sick much more often than I do.

When the results came back, Claudia was the healthiest of the whole bunch! She was even healthier than those who intentionally diet and exercise!

I, on the other hand, ended on the other side of the spectrum. I was the unhealthiest of the whole lot! My bad cholesterol was a whopping 218.97 (the passing mark is around 130). To be honest, I was shocked. The doctor told me that I need to watch my diet and exercise. She also stated that once you cross the 40 (years old) mark, things happen.

Anyhow, here’s the deal. I will have to cut down on fatty food and oily food and seafood and sweets. Please don’t buy me or offer me any more chocolates. I love Jesus but I am not exactly ready to see Him face to face as yet. I still have work to do on planet earth. I am determine to get healthier to love God with all my strength.

The comforting news is that when people find out their health issue at a younger age (and provided that they do something about it), they usually live longer!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you happen to meet the Lord earlier than expected, it is not because of bad cholesterol - but because of constant fretting over bad cholesterol.

February 12, 2009 11:31 pm  
Blogger XIAOZU said...

Oh pastor, must cut down liao..
I have high cholestrol problem also, but slightly better than yours, Bad cholestrol is 179.
Now I don't eat much fried stuff, drink tea/coffee without sweetener, eat more vege. cut down on meat...etc..
Will check again in April, if still high then need to have medication..

February 12, 2009 11:53 pm  
Blogger Angela in Auckland said...

Do make adjustments Ps Jeff. Want to be able to keep serving with you when we are both in our old age. Lol...

February 14, 2009 1:35 am  
Blogger :: TheRealEricE :: said...

Oh cool, you're in my home country! Don't forget to try Jollibee! Of course, that's disobeying the doctor's orders... lol

February 15, 2009 7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to join Angela and I for cycling, roller-blading, gym and running marathon on weekends? Call me ;-)

Alv

February 15, 2009 9:15 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey people. thanks for the advice and kind thoughts. Appreciate them very much.

I shall not fret but I will surely do something about it :)

Thanks Xiaozu for the tip.

Hi Angela, Its a deal then that we will serve until we are really old :)

Did try jollibee. its nice. did nto eat too much though as i need to watch my numbers.

Thanks for the offer Alv. But do nto want to be the gooseberry between angela and you in your romnatic moments :)

February 15, 2009 10:22 pm  
Blogger Tim said...

Well eat oily foods ONLY after you have exercised, and exercise more frequently, Ps Jeff.

That's how I treat myself. Only after I work out hard, do I eat fried food on occasions.

I take it as a reward, and I eat less so that I can savour the favour more. That keeps me in good stead.

February 17, 2009 11:24 pm  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Oh dear, Ps Jeff! I'll keep you and your health in prayer... =) must pray for ur blood cholesterol to go down, down, down... and your joy to go up, up and up! :)

February 18, 2009 12:15 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Tim & YA, thanks for the note and prayer

February 18, 2009 9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ps Jeff,

Take pure oats meal/cereal (no milk) every morning (perhaps before breakfast, if you can't stand taking oats alone for breakfast), it can help reduce your cholesterol level.

Drinking chinese tea, Pu-Er, may also help reduce cholesterol. Tea leaves that are 15 years & above has smoother taste :)

So try it daily & have your blood test taken again in another 3 months to check if there is improvement.

February 20, 2009 5:57 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks for the health tip. The 15 year and older Pu-Er sounds expensive man :)

February 20, 2009 10:11 pm  
Blogger Financial Ark said...

Happy to read you finally see that not all that is eatable was actually meant for food by God! Once you hit 40, one start seeing new revelations in the Word of God as it pertains to What Would Jesus Eat.. High cholesterol: try black fungi, goji, dates and ginger in the slow cooker and on an empty stomach in the morning for 4 weeks... I am testing it out!

February 22, 2009 12:31 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Wow Financial Ark. your receipt sounds exotic man. let me know the result and then I will decide to try or not.

February 22, 2009 8:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....
How can it be Pastor Jeff ? rememeber the last outing i recalled with you ,you bought me to eat chicken rice.. oily and u ate the skin part !! ? Anyway, sometimes pampers ourself with food like this is ok ! otherwise we miss out man !

February 23, 2009 12:21 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hahaha... if i think you are who you are, you ate the skin as well :)

February 27, 2009 12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home