Friday, December 29, 2006

Reflections

As 2006 draws to a close, I want to take some time for reflection.

All in all, I would sum up 2006 as a year of growth for me. It is a year that I had been stretched in numerous ways. It hasn’t been easy but it has been helpful. Growth is like that: we don’t like it but we all need it and we will be glad when we go through it.

Hebrews 12:11
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Discipline here does not only refer to punishment for wrong but training for good as well. So, 2006 had been a year of training and growth of me.

I had picked up new skills, learnt to love better and grown in further depth in my relationship with God.

Some of the highlights were attending the Hope Conference in Prague and touring Switzerland. It was one of the most unforgettable conferences because I got to experience the European Christian culture first-hand. That was really invaluable.

Another highlight was also visiting our South African church. Preaching in the slumps to a bunch of mostly Zulu-only-speaking Africans was a new experience for me. The trip to Soweto had enriched my soul in ways that were simply indescribable.

This is also the year that I took up the challenge of discipling 10 guys directly. I did my best to care, to pray and to lead with as much energy and strength that I could garner. It was challenging but it was a definite growth point in my life. In the end, I think they enriched my life much more than I had done to theirs.

Another wonderful experience was also the Adults Camp in Melaka. That was the first time I got the entire Adults group together under one roof. It helped me to envision a lot more of what God wanted and could do through our Adults ministry.

I also enjoyed the WorkLife series tremendously. The more I shared about God’s principles on work, the more I was convicted that we could indeed be the Salt & Light in our workplaces.

Another highlight that just came to mind was also the Hope International Business Life ministry meeting. I was totally bowed over by the vision and passion that our Thai Hope Business people had. One of them even had, in the missions statement for her companies, the plan to provide the retirement fund for all the full time church workers. She said that this would enable to the full time workers to fully focus on church business and not be concerned about their financial needs.

I know that there are probably many many more defining moments in my life in 2006 that I had not penned down.

Whatever the case, as I looked back at the rear view mirror for 2006, I am really thankful and grateful to God all for the necessary experiences that He has brought me through. All the highest highs and lowest lows have helped shaped me to be a bit more like Jesus.

Indeed, God has been good to me…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your reflections. All of us need to reflect so that we would learn from our past as we reach to the future. I am thankful that God is guiding me through it all. GT

January 02, 2007 2:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home