Friday, February 23, 2007

Death and Dying

For quite a large part of the past few days, I had been helping my mum in the hospital. Time was spent asking her of her well-being, settling hospital administration, traveling, checking insurance and coordinating with the rest of the immediate and extended family. It really did take patience and some work.

One leader was telling me about the challenges her family faced in taking care of her dad. The dad has been wheel-chair bound for 5 years. He was obviously frustrated with the lack of progress and it in turn, affected the entire family as well.

Then just yesterday, I was msn-ing with another friend in our church. He was relating to me of how he had to take care of his mum who also fell sick during the CNY season. He told me that it really tested his patience and by God’s grace, he managed to pull through. I could totally identify with him at that point.

He continued to say that it was scary that we would all have to walk down the same trail as we age. He then said something that struck me. He said that he had no fear of death but only the fear of dying. Death takes only an instant while dying could often be prolonged pain. Death is to be with Jesus immediately while dying is waiting in discomfort to be with Jesus (assuming that he/she is a believer).

Firstly, it causes me to really be more sympathetic towards those who are sick. It is really not a good thing to fall sick and worse, to remain in sickness. It causes me to want to have greater faith to trust God for healing as we pray for people.

Next, I can now understand a bit better of those who have family members that have prolonged sickness. It really does suck you dry physically, emotionally and often time, financially as well. I know of many of our church members that have such long term family commitments. I really salute them and am committed to pray for them more regularly.

Lastly, it forces me to take good care of my given temple of the Holy Spirit. I really do not want to burden those around me unnecessarily.

By the way, mum is a lot better now! Many thanks to Jesus.

5 Comments:

Blogger eyeport said...

Praise the Lord! Emm...a long description about yourself. hehe

February 24, 2007 6:41 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Take care, will be praying for you as well. =)

February 25, 2007 12:43 am  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Thanks bro, think tt's a very touching and thoughtful entry. =) Yes, can identify with what you mean... =)

Prayed a little prayer for your mum. And for you too! :)

February 25, 2007 3:56 am  
Blogger Tricia said...

hi Pastor.. just got to know about your mum's condition. hope that she will get well soon. will be praying for her.

take care too..

February 25, 2007 7:15 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks all so much for the love and concern. Many of you have also prayed and asked about my mum throughout the week. Appreciate it. Felt so loved.

February 25, 2007 10:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home