Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Most Eventful First Day Of CNY

The day started as usual when I traveled all the way to my parent’s place to pick them up to go to my auntie’s house. This has been the usual practice since the days of Abraham!

When mum got into the car, she was telling me that she did not sleep too well that previous night and had to go to the toilet a couple of times throughout the night.

Later that morning, she puked big time and the scary thing was that it was mostly black stuff. She also had fainting spell and my extended family suggested that we go to Eastshore Hospital to see the doctor.

We did just that and then it got worse. The doctor was saying that the black stuff could actually be blood from the stomach and it was best that mum remained under ICU care in the hospital. Being totally inexperienced with these stuffs, I agreed to any suggestion that was made. Our mum’s well being was foremost in our hearts then.

So my immediate family (dad, wife, sis & bro-in-law) and I spent the most part of the first day of CNY at Eastshore Hospital. We were running here and there to talk to doctor, to settle the hospitalization registration and call the extended family to update on the progress.

Later in the evening, mum had a scope inserted through her mouth to find out the cause and possibly even stopped the bleeding. We prayed together along the way.

It was only until after 6pm that the doctor gave us a report on mum’s condition. She had ulcers in her stomach and they were bleeding. The doctor had managed to stop the bleeding and mum had to stay overnight at Eastshore for further observation.

We also specifically told the doctor to seriously tell mum that she had to watch her diet. Actually, I needed to listen in as well!

After settling mum in the hospital, we then left for my aunt’s place for dinner. While there, another family that had known my aunt for a long time was also there. I distinctly overheard one of the children in that family pointing at me and telling her mum that I was her pastor in her church!

I had not met her before. I started small talks with her and her two other brothers. She had been in our church for 8 years already and I had never seen her before, let alone have a decent conversation with her! So we did some serious catch up over CNY goodies.

We left for home after the long dinner and we were totally zonked off when we hit the sack.

This would be the most eventful CNY I have ever had. Thank God that mum is alright and she's resting at home now.

On reflection, I am most thankful that we get to spend quality family time together caring for one another! It was not a pleasant event but there were many wonderful and sweet takeaways for my family...

7 Comments:

Blogger Hiew Hong Teck said...

happy lunar new year to you and family lah. hope auntie will get well speedily. with prayers & blessings.- HT

February 21, 2007 1:21 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks HT... she should be getting much better.

February 21, 2007 3:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy lunar new year. hope your mum is ok now.

February 21, 2007 4:51 pm  
Blogger eyeport said...

Happy CNY Ps Jeff! Your title told me something interesting happened but your content told something otherwise. Hope auntie will recover soon. Always can learn so much from your blog.

February 22, 2007 5:31 pm  
Blogger LeAnne said...

Hi ps Jeff

Happy Lunar New Year! Hope that you mum had speedy recovery. Need to take care of her diet. Tho it wasnt a good LNY start but i sensed family warmth within. :)

February 23, 2007 11:45 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks Felix & Leanne for the concern...

February 23, 2007 9:09 pm  
Blogger sandra lim said...

Hi Ps Jeff! Happy Lunar New Year to you and family.. :) (A tad late).. Hope all is well with your mum now. Keeping her in prayer.. Am sure the situation must have been worrying for you but truly sensed the closeness within your family. THanks for sharing..! Sandra

March 03, 2007 8:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home