Tuesday, March 04, 2008

An Easy Going Hair Affair

Because I had bought a package for my wife, we went back to the same hair salon chain (but different outlet) for my hair cut today. I have my hair cut once every month or less. That is why I don’t go for those expensive hair highlight or dye as my hair-cut shelf life is not very long and it is not worth it.

Today’s experience was a much better one. A totally non-pushy female hairstylist did my hair. My wife told the hairstylist that was doing her hair of the bad experience that we had the last time round. Perhaps after her sharing, there was no hard sell at all! I have a very wise wife indeed.

While this hairstylist was not pushy in selling me products for my either real or imaginary scalp problem, she did ask me a lot of questions on how I want my hair to be styled.

“Do you want the side to be short or long? Do you want your scalp to be seen?” “Do you want slope or no slope for your back?” “Do you want to make the top less bushy and thinner?” “Do you want your sideburns to be long or short or medium?”

I tell you… I have very few answers to these very tough questions. I like it when I just tell them that I want it to be shorter (how to be longer??) and follow the same style and they would know completely what to do. That’s my type of hairstylist.

After she asked me those questions, I would just anyhow answer and then whatever she suggested, I would agree with her readily. Then why she even needed to ask me in the first place! Perhaps she was testing me out… to see how fussy I am.

I am obviously a no fuss, no opinion, easy going hair salon customer.

In fact, I remembered that I got into trouble once while still studying in JC when the hairstylist asked me if it was ok for him to give me a hair style that needed minimum maintenance and virtually no fuss at all. That was like my hair style fantasy! Little or even no fuss was best-est!

I, of course, said yes. Then he began to put curlers on my hair (I did not know what was going on at this point but I began to be a bit nervous). Then he began to pour some pungent solutions onto my hair. Then came the big machine that surrounded my head.

I also did not know why I did not say anything. Perhaps I was too macho to go back on my decision to have this minimum maintenance and no fuss hair style. It may reveal my lack of knowledge in the hair world.

It was until almost the end that I learnt that he had just given me a “body perm” (will remember these words from his mouth for the rest of my life). It was horrifying!

But my hairstylist was right, absolutely no fuss at all with the new look. Even if I wanted to change anything, it would always be the same! I had this hairstyle when I went for OBS (Outward Bound School) and I did not have to bring any gel or hair cream at all.

My hair made me looked like a albino Michael Jackson (the king of pop was very hot then). Some of my college friends called me Michael Jackfruit!


















Anyway, until today, my hair philosophy remains the same. I am still a no fuss, no opinion, easy going customer. Unless I see those curlers and smell that familiar pungent solution again… I would mostly say yes to most suggestions (that I do not have to pay extra for!)

12 Comments:

Blogger yeu@nn said...

Oh man... hey Ps Jeff, couldn't stop laughing when I came to the part about your 'body perm'... XD i wonder wat your teachers thot of it...

anyway, MJ already looks quite the albino today...

March 04, 2008 7:16 pm  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

And oh, I guess that must have been quite a hairy experience, eh?

March 05, 2008 1:49 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

indeed... MJ may have seen me and was inspired to have a lighter color skin tone :)

March 05, 2008 11:32 am  
Blogger Davina said...

Ps jeff!
Show us a pic of your Michael jackson hair!!!

:)

March 05, 2008 8:01 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha davina. Did not take any photos. Just in case it is being used against me for blackmail!

March 06, 2008 8:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pastor...any updates on your site for church milestones ..2007 & 2008 ? http://www.hopesingapore.org.sg/milestones.html

March 08, 2008 9:35 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

hi, i will find out. just check the church website for any updates...

March 08, 2008 10:35 pm  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hi pastor Jeff, haha that sounds just like me. I like my hair without fuss too cos i absolutely hated styling my hair. Indeed, the only thing i ever did with my hair was to wet it with water and combed it then let it dry. I was seriously considering that body perm u were talking about cos i'm about to cut my hair after about 3 months. But it seems like a horrible experience for you so maybe i'll give it a miss. BTW, NTU open house was great. The spirit was moving strongly with us surveyors and simply can't be stopped (Men or weather simply was no match for our mighty God). WJ can tell u more:) Too bad ManU lost to portsmouth else it would have made my day:(

March 09, 2008 9:43 am  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Hi pastor Jeff, haha that sounds just like me. I like my hair without fuss too cos i absolutely hated styling my hair. Indeed, the only thing i ever did with my hair was to wet it with water and combed it then let it dry. I was seriously considering that body perm u were talking about cos i'm about to cut my hair after about 3 months. But it seems like a horrible experience for you so maybe i'll give it a miss. BTW, NTU open house was great. The spirit was moving strongly with us surveyors and simply can't be stopped (Men or weather simply was no match for our mighty God). WJ can tell u more:) Too bad ManU lost to portsmouth else it would have made my day:(

March 09, 2008 9:45 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey Jonathon, glad that we share similar hair philoposhy. I am so proud of all of you who did a great job in the open house. I will certainly talk to WJ :)

Sad that we lost :( Good news is that we can focus more...

March 09, 2008 5:18 pm  
Blogger Dee said...

Ps Jeff, you are really funny..I was giggling while reading this post..really curious how you look like!! ;p

March 19, 2008 5:33 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Dee, don't imagine too much. You may get nightmare!

March 19, 2008 7:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home