Tuesday, February 12, 2008

An Unpleasant Hair Affair

On Claudia’s birthday, I bought her a package at a popular hair saloon for 10 hair cuts. As she keeps her hair longer and visits the saloon less often than me, she lets me use her package.

I remembered during one of the times when I visited this chain of hair saloon, they were very keen to tell me about my scalp problem and were rather pushy in getting me to sign up for treatment package. I was totally resistant to such scare-marketing tactics. It is unethical and completely dishonest.

Then today, when I visited another chain, the hairstylist once again told me about my scalp problem. I kindly told him that I was not interested then and may probably consider it during future visits. He was rather kind and respected my choice and went on to cut my hair.

After cutting my hair, the shampoo girl rinsed my hair and the hairstylist told me that the shampoo girl would be applying some stuff on my hair. That was that and the shampoo girl did the rinsing.

Thereafter, she applied some stuff on my head. I asked her what it was and she said that it was some ginseng essence. Then the hairstylist came back and then passed me a small bottle of special herbal shampoo and told me how I should use it.

Honest to God, all this while, I was impressed with the good service that the hairstylist had been giving to me. I thought to myself that this is one hairstylist that is genuinely concern about my alleged scalp problem and he had gone the extra mile to give me some sample treatment.

I was thinking that I would ask him after the whole hair cut on the cost of this scalp treatment that he was recommending to me. If the price is reasonable, I may considered giving it a try. I was impressed with his service.

Then to my utter horror, at the end of the session, he gave me a receipt of $48 for the treatment that he had given to me! This $48 was on top of the wash and cut that I had earlier paid in the package.

I told him that I did not ask for the treatment and recollected the whole series of events to him. He tried to shift the responsibility to the shampoo girl saying that she would have explained it to me. I told him to not do that and repeated that I would not have agreed to the treatment without having first asked what the treatment was all about and the price.

And I also told the hairstylist that when he said that he would put the whatever stuff on my head, it wasn’t a question but a statement that he was making to me.

I am usually an easy-going guy when it comes to prices in buying stuff. I am not the type that would walk from Plaza Singapura to Lucky Plaza for a $10 discount. To be honest, I am really quite "con-able"!

But this time, it was my sense of injustice that drove me to make a firm stand. In fact, I was so pastoral that I even told him that I sincerely felt bad that he might have to lose some money for the essence that he had used on my head. But I told him that it was wrong for him to use such unethical means to get business. It was just wrong and I will not pay for his own wrong-doing (sin would be a better word but it wasn’t church setting)

He relented as I continued to stand firm…

Later, Claudia told me that this is a common technique that some shops use. This is certainly new to me and I feel really frustrated that these people are trying to take me for a ride.

Perhaps, I should just go back to those $10 hair cut shops from here on. Things are much simpler there.

Injustice does indeed cause a sense of anger within people. I wonder how God feel when He sees all the injustice that is taking place in His beloved world.

I also wonder to myself of what Jesus would have done if he were in my shoes…

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you for making a stand Ps Jeff! By the way...how does your hair look? : )

February 13, 2008 2:30 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha Hair look so so lah. But nto thinking much of teh look as much as the frustration over the whole saga :(

But thanks for asking... will go to the washroom and try to style it :)

February 13, 2008 9:08 am  
Blogger JesuaFreak said...

Write Eze 18:4 "The soul who sins will surely die"on the floor and then put $50 on the table and walk away.

February 13, 2008 1:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm Pastor, Jesus did not have any hair problem :) Although I do Sympathies with your taken for ride issue.

February 13, 2008 3:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, did you finally pay up the $48? If this were to happen to Jesus, I think he would probably overturn the tables in the saloon and shouted: "my hair shall have cheap and good treatment, but you have made your saloon into a den for daylight robbery!" The next time this ever happens to you again, you can consider doing what Jesus might have done. (but don't blame me if you get "crucified") :)

February 13, 2008 4:41 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks JX for your very biblical suggestion :)

And thanks anonymous for your very creative and dramatic idea. Let me pray over it more...

It is also probably true that Jesus has great hair too

February 13, 2008 4:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ps Jeff

we just had CG and discussed sunday's sermon (nothing to do with hair:))

was debating what the book of the law in joshua 1 v8 refers to since much of the bible wasnt written yet during joshua's time?

February 13, 2008 10:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ps Jeff, you wrote: "In fact, I was so pastoral that I even told him that I sincerely felt bad that he might have to lose some money for the essence that he had used on my head." haha. Somehow I find this funny :D ... It's true some places use such tactics especially on customers that they perceive as being more gullible or look more friendly. But we have to be firm yet kind. Firm yet gentle. I guess it's a matter of conviction up to the individual whether he/she wants to pay or not in such a case. Neither is better and neither is right or wrong. I think you handled it quite well. God calls us to love but God did not call us to be suckers for everybody's unethical business practices.

February 13, 2008 11:17 pm  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Hi anonymous (there's quite a lot of anonymouses around today ;)), the book of the Law that you refer to is the first 5 books of the Bible - also known as the Pentateuch or the Torah.

i googled, and think this link should be good. This one should be reliable too: The Catholic Encyclopedia

Or... you could go for the Old Testament Survey bible course offered by our very own Hope Seminary! ;) Part 1 starts on the 19th of Feb, for 6 consecutive Tuesdays.

Hope this helps. God bless!

February 14, 2008 2:23 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks Yeu Ann for helping with the question. You are right in your answer. You do know quite a fair bit brother :)

Yes tm... it is about striking a balance between being firm and loving. It is much easier than done. I am learning and growing along the way...

February 14, 2008 9:29 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

so does the ginseng essense treatment really improve your scalp problem?;)

February 16, 2008 7:26 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

hey alvin, i do not really know. I am not even sure if i have a problem to begin with.

February 16, 2008 9:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home