Tuesday, January 29, 2008

How Are You & How Do You Do?

I had a wonderful time at the Healthy Relationship Seminar last night. While looking through the lessons that our Education Department has prepared, I had learnt a great deal about myself as well.

As I took the time to reflect, it was indeed true that my family has marked me in many ways. I had inherited many good qualities from my parents and I am very thankful to them for that. It just reinforced to me again on the importance of family life.

At the end of the seminar, Hui Li (from youth) reminded me that I had made a mistake in my teaching. The way to reply to the greeting of “How Are You?” could indeed be “I’m fine, thank you.”

It is only when people greet you “How do you do?” that you greet them back in the same way; i.e. “How do you do?”

I had taught this before but I had completely forgotten about it :( I was surprised that no one brought this up during the teaching. I really hope that no one would go around replying “How are you?” to a “How are you?” greetings!

My sincere apology for my big boo boo…

If you have read this entry, please help me to inform those who were at last night’s seminar about this. Many many thanks!

6 Comments:

Blogger Davina said...

Hi hi Ps Jeff,
No problemo. Thks for clarifying! :)

I was scratchin my head/asking around during your delivery, coz i remembered my primary sch teacher taught "How do you do" with "How do you do" respond..thought bit wierd for "How are you"..or perhaps it was something i didn't know. haha. My neighbours didn't answer me though.

No worries, i'll at least tell my CG mates. :)

Best thing was, you taught with so much conviction that ppl believed or almost believed you.. ??

haha.
But not a good thing/dangerous when it comes to heresies though..

:)

January 29, 2008 11:39 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

You are so right Davina. Speaking falsehood with conviction is dangerous.

January 30, 2008 10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi hi Ps Jeff,

thanks for your honesty and humility in sharing your mistake. your heart is so that we will not be mistaken.

But , hor, seriously, I feel this is really a trivial "mistake" and nothing much at all.

Because your main point was the "how are you" is usually said in polite company as a form of greeting and is usually not deep friendship.

THAT is the point of your point , which came across during your teaching. As for whatever we reply to 'how are you', that is really not important at all and was merely a matter of social etiquette. Clearly, your knowledge of social etiquette needed brushing up in terms of skills but it has nothing to do with what you taught.

What you taught was clear and beneficial !!!. So don't worry!!! :)

February 02, 2008 3:06 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks for making the point. Appreciate it very much :)

February 02, 2008 9:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ps Jeff, thx for clarifying. Now i know the truth & it set me free. hehe...
Actucally it sounds weird to me at 1st, but I thought, well just believe la. Then at one of the teaching, someone greet me with "how are you". I was hang, as i was used to saying "fine", yet i was taught anything. Can't decide which to said at that time. haha...
Perhaps, U may like to clarify it in one of your sermons by using it as a joke? (if you wish to)

February 11, 2008 12:29 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

thanks for the feedback. Actually, Charamine did talk about it on the Wed's session. Not sure if you have heard the clarification from her or not...

By the way, how are you? :)

February 11, 2008 9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home