Thursday, January 31, 2008

40+

A couple of weeks ago, I received a sms while on my way overseas from my old Junior College mate about playing soccer together. These are some of my very best friends in JC and I really want to spend some time with them. I hope to be able to build some close relationship with them and get them to enjoy Jesus as well.

Anyhow, I replied that they can count me in.

Then, after around 2 weeks later, another sms came and said that we have bought jerseys for everyone at around S$20 plus dollars. I was surprised that we need to have jerseys (we usually play shirtless during JC days… but that was when we were fitter and slimmer) for such kick around with old buddies.

My friend replied that we had signed up for a competition organized by the Automobile Association of Singapore at The Cage with 9 other teams! I was shocked and since I had already signed up, I did not say much.

Then on the match day, I went to The Cage with much joy and fear. Joyful because I would be meeting my old buddies. Some of whom I had not met for more than a decade already. Fearful because I might die from exhaustion on the artificial turf in The Cage!

The other 9 teams were mainly people who had been playing soccer seriously. They came with boots and from the way they had pep talk and warm up, I could tell that we would be dead!

While the other teams were planning their strategies, my friends and I were busy catching up on families and work matters. While they are warming up, some of my friends were eating French Fries and drinking Coke (or Pepsi).

The name of our team was 40+ because we are all turning 40 this year. We were the first team to play and our opponents were named Remand Prison! We dare not asked if they were working in prison or they were inmates there before.

After only 5 minutes into the first game, I volunteered to be substituted out. There were no limits to the number of substitution that we could make. I could also tell that many of my friends were struggling as well. Two of them almost vomitted while one had a splitting headache.

One question that lingered on throughout the whole afternoon was “why are we doing this?”

After I was substituted, I really thought that I was going to die. I laid on the ground and it took more than 3 minutes before I could sit up again.

My friend who was also struggling, then tried to get me substituted back into the game but I pretended to not see him. He chided me for pretending but I told me that it was a case of self-preservation!

We played 4 games and we lost all 4 games; 2-3, 0-6, ?-?, 2-7 (could not recall the score for the 3rd game). And I was the goalkeeper for the 0-6 game!

At the end of the game, we spent time talking and relaxing at a nearby fast food restaurant. Though my body was aching (really aching), the joy in my heart knew no bounds.

I just love hanging out with my pre-believing buddies. Till date, only one of them is a believer. I really pray with my whole heart that these very good friends of mine will wind up in heaven for all of eternity with me.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Hahahahaha.... you make a great candidate to join The Ah-Lao Group (TAG) United! =p

We await for your transfer arrival next season!

January 31, 2008 5:06 pm  
Blogger Zachary said...

Why dont u consider joining HPL? My team never did realize the size of the soccer pitch till we played the first game..

February 01, 2008 12:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please join us TAG! The Ah Lao Group....

We need your services....

February 01, 2008 1:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please join us TAG! The Ah Lao Group....

We need your services....

February 01, 2008 1:46 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha.. i am definitely an ah lao!

February 01, 2008 10:56 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ps jeff! This post about your soccer match was SOOO funny! I was laughing as I read it : ) Will be welcoming you to the 40s club soon!

-

February 02, 2008 2:49 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Haha Angela. Thanks for going ahead of me to this club!

Thanks most of all for serving God so faithfully in all these years. Bernard and you are our heroes in the faith!

February 02, 2008 9:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah-Lao? 40+? You reminded me and ....

"You make me feel....
You make me feel like ...
You make me feel like a na-tu-ral...old man.."

February 04, 2008 6:30 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha HT. We are all wise men!

February 04, 2008 9:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home