Tuesday, November 04, 2008

War Stories

Nothing floats my boat more than to hear victorious stories that comes from the trenches of ministry and doing life in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Last Friday was our combined adults service. There were more than 70 first-timers in that service! As I could tell, there were at least7 people that crossed the line of faith.

At the end of the service, I went around saying my thank you to all the crew that worked hard for the event. I was doing that to one of the sisters who worked really hard on the MM side of the game. After I was done saying, she said that as great as the MM went, the key thing for her on that night was that her friend, that she had been trying to reach for Jesus for the past 10 years, gave her heart to Jesus.

Even as I am writing now, I can feel a lump building up in my throat. This is just great.

After the combined care group when we got drilled through the ins and outs of outreach, we were more equipped in our hands and more strengthened in our hearts to reach more for Jesus.

Below is one such success stories (permission had been granted to past this). Gavin works in Singapore and he worships in our church. This is his story about how God used him to reach out to his brother in one of his trips back home.

Be inspired…

On 29th Oct 2008, my younger brother Rex said the sinner’s prayer after me as he decided to receive Christ.

This is how it happens…..

Rex drove me to the air port, after he dropped his wife Hui Ling for meeting. When we were entering highway, we were complaining about the distance of the international air port, KLIA being so far from the city. Along the way we didn’t talk much as I was praying that I can share to him about God after sharing to him a family issue which I long to see improvement. Frankly, I was not so sure about what to share to him about God, therefore I also praying. When we were on the highway for quite awhile, I noticed that the petrol indicator light was on, meaning the petrol is low. I told him that and he was telling me that he forgotten to pump in petrol while in the city and hopefully we have enough petrol to last to the next petrol kiosk.

We were quite worried. I started to pray in my heart that God will help us to have enough petrol to last to the air port or the next available petrol kiosk. Rex started to switch off the air-cond and wind down the window a little. Not long after he did that, the car engine stopped and he pulled over to the shoulder of the highway. It was disappointing, Rex maybe thinking he should have pumped in petrol earlier; and for me I was thinking “God, are you kidding, I thought you will help us to get to the air port or the next petrol kiosk? How come the engine finally stopped?” Soon after the car stopped, Rex walked out and head to the front to try to get to the nearest emergency phone along the highway. I sat down, feeling helpless but continue to pray that God to send us help but I wasn’t sure what kind of help, really. After that, I started to get up the seat and look to Rex to think of going with him for the emergency phone. But I felt a very strong urge to continue to pray, so I sat back and prayed. Promptly, the Holy Spirit told me to “Drive”! I got into the driver seat, started the engine, drove towards Rex and ask him to get in to the car; he was so amazed and found it incredible and said “how come the car can be started again?”

I continued to drive, exited from the highway. As we stopped at the toll for payment, he was so worry that the car may just stop again. But I felt very calm and peaceful at that time as I know God is with us, so I told him “don’t worry, it wont stop and we will definitely get to the next petrol kiosk.” After passed by the toll and continue to drive for roughly another 2km, we found a petrol kiosk, it was joyful. Soon after I drove into the petrol kiosk, the engine stopped again. In my heart “God, this is must be you!”

After pumped in petrol, full tank, he drove on and I shared with him about the prayer I made after realized the petrol is running low and God spoke to me to “Drive!”, he responded “It is so powerful, I believe it” . I told him that this is not the first time He helped me and shared with him other testimony as well. After checking in at the air port, we managed to have sometime for our dinner at Mac where I started to share with him the family issue, after that the bridge diagram. He believed that there is God as he said that his position is on God’s side in the bridge diagram. I asked him whether he wants to receive Jesus into his life and he said YES. I led him in the sinner’s prayer. Thank God, he is saved.

Denote:
I have a wrong perception about my brother for a very long time. I thought he is very staunch in his believe in other god as he was wearing an idol, quite big in size. After I asked him to take off the idol from his necklace before praying and told him that no more believe in other gods if he decided to accept Jesus, he told me that “In fact all along I did not believe in any gods, I wear it for protection against evil spirits” (he had an evil spirit encounter before). So don’t judge any pre-believers, things might not be true as what we think.

I shared with him a few times before about Jesus & some bible verses. This time, God created opportunity and moves his heart, so trust Him : )

2 Comments:

Blogger yeu@nn said...

Wow, Pastor Jeff! Thank God indeed for your sharing Gavin's testimony with us... this is so exciting! :D

Haha... actually I think God's also doing something similar on my side... but it's still in progress... so my fellow sowers and I are praying and relying on God to continue working a miracle in our pre-believing friend's life. Share more with you next time we talk! :)

November 09, 2008 1:16 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Will pray along with you Yue Ann! Keep me posted on the progress.

November 09, 2008 12:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home