Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Good News

As a Singaporean male, when you receive a letter with the Mindef Singapore Letter Head, it usually caused your heart to stop for a few beats. By the way Mindef means Ministry of Defence which means army and the rest of the marching and national service stuff.

It has been a long time since I received any letter with this Letter Head. But one came today and it brought a big smile on my face!

The letter was about the completion of National Service. It reads…

“ I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the statutory age, and are no longer liable for National Service….”

Other than the best-est news of Christ, this has to be rate as one of the other best-est news. We can surely do with some good news with the economy in such chaotic stage at this moment.

Anyhow, memories of Nee Soon & Stagmont Camps will linger on for a long long time…

8 Comments:

Blogger Joab said...

I see "50 years old".

I'm very sure you don't look that old! :O

October 07, 2008 10:55 pm  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Next letter to be looking forward to would be the first release of our CPF monies... ha ha...

Another wait long long process =p

October 08, 2008 9:26 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha Joab. I am certainly not that old yet... but it will come!

Thanks for casting the vision of the CPF money :)

October 08, 2008 9:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the best news is when the Lord issue you a letter like this:

"I am pleased to inform you that you have reached the statutory age to come home to me. You are no longer liable for this weary life on earth.- Welcome home!"

October 09, 2008 1:14 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

that is indeed true annoy-nymous!

October 11, 2008 2:13 am  
Blogger Davina said...

Congrats pastor Jeff!
Sharing your happiness.

NS is really such a dread?

haha.

October 11, 2008 1:07 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha davina... it is more my own experience. I was also not a believer then when i was in NS and my attitude was not good, to put it very mildly :)

October 14, 2008 11:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "good news" you received from Mindef is their way of telling you to get lost - as they perceive you to be no longer useful to them. (to put it very mildly ;)

I would have volunteered for NS if (and only if) it were not made compulsory.

October 14, 2008 10:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home