Thursday, June 07, 2007

Help!

As I survey through my journal over all these years, the most repeated statement in it is “Help Me Lord! Help Me! Help Me!”

I cannot even being to recall the number of times when I simply cry out to God for help. I just do not know how else to pray anymore.

By the way, this is anything but original. Many men and women had cried out to God using this same prayer in different situations at different junctures in history.

Exodus 2:23
During that long period, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God.

2 Chronicles 14:11
Then Asa called to the LORD his God and said, "LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O LORD, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you."

Psalm 5:2
Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray.

Matthew 15:25
The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.

Mark 9:24
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

The fact that we need help is no big surprise at all. The fact that God actually listens to our cry is really amazing. The fact that God not only listens to our cry but actually acts upon our request is completely mind-blowing!

Below is one Beatles' song that I like very much for many years already. Come to think of it, this could be very well be used for Praise & Worship in the church if it is sung unto Jesus!

If you know the tune, sing along to Jesus... I am sure you will enjoy it...

Help! (Lennon/McCartney)

Help, I need somebody,
Help, not just anybody,
Help, you know I need someone, help.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me.

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways,
My independence seems to vanish in the haze.
But every now and then I feel so insecure,
I know that I just need you like I've never done before.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in any way.
But now these daya are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round.
Help me, get my feet back on the ground,
Won't you please, please help me, help me, help me, oh.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor,ur entry "help" trigger my memory.Which remind me of my cry to God.Backdated when i was a new believer & even recently.Indeed is amazing.Thanks.

June 07, 2007 10:57 am  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Thank you ps jeff for sharing this and the Bible verses! :) it's very timely, because was praying to God to help me with some things, and discouragement. Thank God for you bro! Pls keep on sharing even more!

June 08, 2007 12:42 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey addy, its great to hear from you. Yes, we all have an element of being "cry babies" before our heavenly Father :)

Yeu Ann, I am glad that God used the entry to encourage you. Always remember and know that God will never forsake or leave you.

June 08, 2007 10:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ps Jeff! I just can't wait for you to teach at SSS!! I'm really really really excited! (: See ya at first frontier!

June 10, 2007 1:07 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks for the sharing your excitement! See you at SSS (Singapore Sports School)!!

June 10, 2007 3:32 pm  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Hi Pastor

How come you teaching at the SSS? Didn't know you are sportsman leh... Soccer player, Sprinter, Boxer or Swimmer?

Can't tell leh... though you more of a watchman than sportsman like me. Only watch EPL. Ha ha...

June 11, 2007 9:36 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Funny lah you Andrew! I represent Spore in competitive eating. Its a new sport that will be introduced in the upcomging Oylmpics!

June 11, 2007 3:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Jeff

Have been trying to get hold of your blog and i finally did! Praise God! Amen! Your blog not only provides comic relief, it is actually quite inspirational as well! Thanks for sharing and just wana tell you that i enjoy every bit of your Sunday sermon! :) Thank God for such a humourous pastor! :) Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

Cheers.
Joyce

June 11, 2007 10:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I represent Spore in competitive eating... I guess that involves BURPees too? XD

June 12, 2007 2:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! I never saw the Beatles song in that light before, that it can be used to sing to Jesus! haha! Now when I listen to it, you can be sure who I'd be thinking of!

June 13, 2007 3:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home