Saturday, June 02, 2007

On Becoming An Overcomer…

Below is a story that I had heard many years ago but I came across it again recently…

Sir Edmund Hillary was the first person to reach the summit of Mount Everest along with Tibetan Tenzing Norgay. Prior to his success on Everest, Hillary had been part of another expedition, in which the team not only had failed to reach the summit but also had lost one of its members.

At a reception for the expedition members in London, Hillary stood to address the audience. Behind the platform as a huge photograph of Everest. Hillary turned to face the image of the mountain and exclaimed, “Mount Everest, you have defeated us. But I will return. And I will defeat you. Because you cannot get any bigger, and I can!”






Edmund Hillary & Tenzing Norgay








This is so true. Often time, there are challenges in our lives that will or cannot be removed. We may have fasted and prayed. We may have sought after solutions and done all that we could. But theses issues remain.

God may not remove these challenges but God wants us to grow and be an overcomer. Though these issues may still persist, we are able to deal with them. They no longer have any more negative effects in our lives.

Let's all grow to becoming overcomers!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ps. Jeff,

Thanks for sharing the inspiring story on your blog. It is certainly an encouragement and motivation for me to start off my beautiful Sunday! We will have a Bible Study later with a Timorese friend. The best part of the story is that "Mount Everest, you can't get bigger, but I CAN!" I like that line! But I have to make sure is my FAITH that will grow bigger, not adding weight to this earth anymore.

When I was wondering where are Ps.Denis & Hai Eng going, it surprised me that I saw their pictures on your blog. Glad that you have had good time in your camp.

God bless, and may you have a wonderful day!

June 03, 2007 7:27 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey Harry, it is great to hear from you. You are indeed a hero to be serving there in East Timor. We are all so proud of you!

Yes, our faith must indeed grow and both of us must not merely add weight to this earth alone!

Keep on going there in ET! God and us are on your side!

June 03, 2007 9:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ps Jeff! Sir Edmund Hillary is from New Zealand! Thank you for blogging. Some of our leaders read your blog and they draw inspiration and encouragement from it. Thank you : )

June 04, 2007 3:53 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Go Kiwi Go!

Thanks Angela for the encouraging kind words.

I am really glad that this blog is of good use :) That's the objective of setting up this blog.

June 04, 2007 3:28 pm  
Blogger ~Kathy~ said...

Go Kiwis!
Pst Jeff,
we Kiwis are your faithful readers here, in the land far far away!

June 12, 2007 3:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home