Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Battle Of The Bak Kut Teh

I did not grow up particularly liking Bak Kut Teh. It was ok but it wasn’t a big thing in my life.

However, since young, I had discovered that many folks around me seem to have a great love for this dish. I had seen many people; young and old, male and female, gathering around bowls of soup, small dishes of vegetables and sipping tea from ridiculously small tea cups.

I only grew to like it more when I started to sample from the Bak Kut Teh shop across the Joo Chiat Church office. The liking got more intense when some of the church friends began giving me tips of the “die die must try” stores around the island.

Here’s another two that I had purposely ventured to check out.

Tiong Bee Bah Kuk Teh

The first store is near Balestier area (Jalan Datoh). It is a small and simple store but the food is really good. It is the peppery type (not the herbal sort) and the Braised Pig Trotters is really nice (we give the fatty part a miss but the lean part is pretty good).

Because it is a small time business, the service is quite personal. It gives me the “mum’s cooking” sort of feeling. Warm to the heart and great on the palates.

It only costs Claudia and me $12! Good value for money.

Please do try it and tell the lady boss that it's my recommendation. Scoring points with her may earn me more food in the future!
















Outram Park Ya Hua Rou Gu Cha

The second store is the famous Outram Park store. It is located in PSA Tanjong Pagar Complex.

It is so crowded that they have close to 30-40 tables at the store. If you enjoy queuing and want to develop lots of patience, go during lunch hour.

The soup is really peppery and the meat is really quite special. According to the boss, the pigs are shipped in from Indonesia and they do not slaughter the pig straight after arrival. This is because the pigs will be seasick and it will affect the taste of the meat. (great cooking tip for hungry cannibals waiting for shipwrecks sailors!)

I do not know if this theory is true or not but the meat sure tastes differently good.

The Braised Pig Trotters is rather average. There are also many other dishes on the menu. It is a very well run store with lots of stuff waiting to serve you.

This is certainly worth a try. I bet most of you do not know how non-seasick pork taste like!

Again, do tell the boss (Frankie Gwee) that I recommended you to his store. I took pictures and I told him that it was for my blog!

The whole meal costs us around $18.

By the way, some of you did tell me that you took up some of my past food recommendations and tried out some of the dishes. Do let me know your thoughts.

Remember… the testing of the pudding is in the eating.

Enjoy!




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah thanks Ps Jeff! I tried the Yong Tau Hoo!! Really power packed..tastes great! not the typical price though... heh...

May 16, 2007 10:52 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Haha... a few other adults have told me that they have tried it too. Healthy and tasty food does really exist!

May 17, 2007 1:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home