Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Being & Keeping The Right Company

One of the many highlights for last week was when I spent time with Hong Teck. We did not meet in some fancy restaurant nor did we meet over some special food.

In fact, we caught up in the same roti prata makan place that we have been doing so for many months already. We had our usual kopi tarek and Hong Teck had two kosok prata.

What was most exciting during that meeting was when Hong Teck shared about his passion for life and for ministry. He shared with me about the importance of having vision for life and the Kingdom. He also shared how important it is for leaders to envision the team and that vision must bleed out of us as it resides within us.

Hong Teck shared with so much passion and fuel that I was afraid that he might get a stroke there and then. I was so captured and grabbed by his sharing. The vision that God had placed in his life had certainly overflowed into mine.

I thanked him for sharing his heart with me and he said something that would reside in my memory for a long time. He said that fellowship should be as such as we encourage and inspire one another towards greater venture for God! I could not have said it better and agreed more.

I learnt that I must be the right kind of company that people want to keep. I want to be a source of encouragement to those around me. I want to be God’s channel of strength to lift sagging shoulders and strengthen discouraged hearts.

Secondly, it also reminded me on the importance of keeping the right company. Alan Tea once preached a sermon about the importance of keeping with the right company. They will either make us or break us.

While we should not have a judgmental and critical spirit about it, we should really take stock of the company that we keep.

The bible says…
1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

I am not talking about having Disneyland kind of company where we live in an unreal make-believe world. By the way, Hong Teck also did share about the many obstacles that he faced in his life and in making the vision come to life.

What I am talking about is not denying reality but staring at reality in the face and yet trusting God more than the circumstances.

Some pearls of wisdom here: If we find ourselves having the stature to influence the prevailing less than ideal atmosphere, then it would be great for us to change it. However, if we find ourselves being overcome by it instead of overcoming it, then caution needs to be taken.

There are more times in my life that I would like to admit when I was more like a herald of bad news rather than the good news. I definitely need to make progress in this aspect of my life.

May we all seek to be the right kind of company as well as keep the right kind of company in our lives!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder. Its indeed timely. CK

April 26, 2007 7:06 am  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Same here too. :D Thank God for you Ps Jeff! :D

April 29, 2007 8:50 pm  
Blogger Mbluebear said...

I have just share this message to our thai sister. And they said "that was the normal thing that always happen to who ever make a trip with Ps. David" Maybe if you need more adventure, you may make more trip with him :)

May 15, 2007 7:34 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey mbluebear, you posted a comment on the wrong entry :)

Yes, i do feel that my life lack cahllenge and that is why I have be-friended Pastor David. He certainly add colors to my life!

May 15, 2007 8:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home