Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sleeping During Service

It’s been a long long time since I last remembered myself sleeping during service. It’s less nowadays as I often am the preacher! It is hard to fall asleep while you are preaching. I have been tempted to do so but I have yet to succumb to it.

After spending some time with Daniel and then Choon Yam, I visited the Indo service for the second time. The first time I was there was during the inaugural service when I preached.

For this time round, 95% of the service was conducted in Bahasa Indonesia. Jorry did a wonderful job leading the praise and worship. Alex was very prepared and chaired the service well. Mike was preaching and he was from Indonesia (he is now a Singaporean). Mike spoke really fluent Bahasa Indonesia (I was told) and it was awesome. The people really responded well to him.

At the start of the service, I was still listening to the translation but part way through, I gave up. It was just too fast and really hard to follow.

It was then that I fell asleep during the service. I was totally off in a jiffy. Emma, the Hope Spore paparazzi, took a snapshot of me! With friend as such, who needs enemy.


















I must say that I still have a lot to learn of the Indonesian culture. Apparently, the Indonesians like things slow. There were parts of the service where it was way too slow for me.

Yin San, the Indo leader, kept assuring me that it was the appropriate pace for Indo service. She was having a hearty time laughing at me (perhaps the vein on my forehead was showing again in my desire to move things faster).

I have so much to learn from and grow in.

“Lord, please continue to bless the Indo service greatly. Please empower my precious brothers and sisters to serve you powerfully. Help us to reach out to more Indonesians and to disciple them well. Help us to reach beyond 100 people at the end of this ministry year!

Thank you Jesus for the two new believers over the past weeks that are coming along so well. May you continue to show yourself real to them.

And please help people to not sleep when I preach!"

8 Comments:

Blogger Zachary said...

A rare sight of weakness, sleeping and all, but that whats endears you to the crowd. May He who is beside you grant His beloved rest and energy when you need it. We all know working hard is naturally tiring! Thanks for your effort all the time, seen as well as the unseen!

April 22, 2007 8:15 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Zac, thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad that even my sleeping can be encouraging :) Yeap, let's all work hard together to build our church and lives to be all that it is meant to be!

April 23, 2007 8:11 am  
Blogger eyeport said...

haha, i should encourage others more by using this method.

April 23, 2007 9:58 am  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Chelsea draw!!!! Ho ho ho...

Phew... =p

April 23, 2007 4:57 pm  
Blogger Emma Lee said...

Well, in my moment of naughtiness, I helped you to be encouraging... Woah, what can I say man... hahaha! Thanks for being so real, sharing your life with us so openly and being so secured in Jesus.

You are out of this world man, Pastor! it's great joy serving with you!

April 24, 2007 5:55 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey Andrew... yes Man U is 3 points ahead again! Tonight's a big game against AC... We have to do well in the first leg.

Hi Emma, you are one of the most positive persons that I know. Glad to be in the same team as you are :)

April 24, 2007 8:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor; Mina here from Hope Kuching - Indonesian Group; it cheer me up when reading your blog. Hope to invite you sometime to our indo service in Kuching; and we wont let you sleep cause you have to preach... :-)

April 27, 2007 3:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mina, its great to hear from you. I am in Thailand now for the camp. May more indos come into the Kingdom!

April 30, 2007 5:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home