Thursday, March 22, 2007

Vocals Training

Since years ago, I had been taught that it was important for me to learn to speak from the diaphragm and not from the throat. Not only does it sound better, it will also preserve my voice for the long haul. I heard about it but I had never really learnt it.

So just last two Mondays, I had been going for the vocals training class. It was a small class with only 3 students, me being one of them.

During the first class last week, the first gentlemen introduced himself to us and to the trainer. He is presently working as an IT manager in a MNC and is thinking of a career switch to broadcasting. He spoke with a really deep voice and he articulated his words very clearly. I was wondering to myself, “why is he here?!?”

Then a rather slim lady did her introduction. Her voice was unbelievable. Her voice was really rich and strong and her diction was immaculate. In her introduction, she made mention that she does voice over and radio ads for a living. I wondered to myself, “why is she here?!?!?”

Then in was my turn. I introduced myself in my usual throaty voice and poor diction. I could almost read everyone’s mind in that room… “why is he here?!?!?!?!?!”

I felt so vulnerable. Every time I was asked to read a passage or even just a sentence, I felt like the whole world would cave in on me there and then. It’s been totally ego-crashing. But it’s been good as well.

I began to learn a lot about my own speech pattern (to be exact, wrong speech pattern). I also got to learn how I should project my voice from my diaphragm and not my throat. It is anything but natural at this point in time. I just have to keep working at it until I get it.

For the second class, I think I did better than the first class. Firstly, I do not think it can get any worse. Secondly, perhaps the trainer has the gift of compassion and she threw in some words of encouragement to preserve any bit of human dignity that still residues in me.

After speaking the same way for 30 over years, it is not easy to break many habits. But with God and being determine, I hope to go to the next level…

14 Comments:

Blogger Zachary said...

you mean there is such classes?!? man.. who or what persuaded u to have go? self-development instinct? looking forward to hear u once again. =)

March 22, 2007 3:11 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha... just want you to be sure... it is not a singing class but a speaking class. All these expectation is making me nervous.

March 22, 2007 8:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess what?? Pastor Jeff, u r not the only one that have not mastered tt.. i'm still learning how to speak from diaphregm!! woohoo... do impart some knowledge and wisdom to me... I need that too!! :)

March 22, 2007 11:33 pm  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Yo Yanz... think you quite hard since you squeal most of the times... Ha ha ha

Kidding only hor =p

March 23, 2007 9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Jeff,

I am really looking forward to hear any of my friends to ask this question - "Why is he here??" after you introduce yourself as a preacher as you get trained to be rich, deep in your voice. practice hor...

March 23, 2007 12:44 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

oink oink...the pressure is mounting... i don;t think it will be distinctly different in the short run.

March 23, 2007 3:14 pm  
Blogger LoVe*m|cHeLLe*AnGeL said...

Pastor Jeff!
Jia You!! haha how many lessons are there altogether? work hard yeah! certainly looking forward to a melodious voice of yours! =P

March 23, 2007 10:02 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

sorry... forgot to answer Zach and michelle's questions...

Yes, there are such classes. I went because I want to be able to preesrve my voice for the long haul.

There are altogether 3 classes for this level... and yes, I will work hard and do my best.

March 24, 2007 2:14 pm  
Blogger Fresh Dew said...

all the way, Ps Jeff! Dun worry, be happy =)

March 24, 2007 9:30 pm  
Blogger eyeport said...

Excellent! So I can hear Ps Jeff's sexy voice somewhere sometime...Hehe. So why were you there?

March 24, 2007 10:42 pm  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

wow, that's very inspiring Ps Jeff! :D hee, am inspired by how you constantly strive to improve yourself, stepping out of your comfort zone even if it means becoming very nervous (haha), so that you can serve God even better and even longer! Thanks for setting an example for us to learn from!

Thank God for you bro! :D

March 25, 2007 2:09 am  
Blogger To be known soon said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 31, 2007 12:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Ps Jeff, I am looking for such a course as well. mind giving me the details of the course - the cost, venue and dates of the next available class?

March 31, 2007 12:37 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

hey, email to me in the church office (church@hopesingapore.org.sg) and I will give you the details. DO attention your email to me.

March 31, 2007 10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home