Monday, March 17, 2008

Romans 8

As I was sharing in the services on the weekend, I am doing “bible passage saturation” on Romans 8. I had learnt this from Bill Hybels in one of his teachings.

The book of Romans has often been touted as one of the most influential books in the bible.

John Calvin had this to say about the book of Romans; "If a man understands Romans he has a sure road open to help him understand the entire Bible.”

This book has influenced hundreds of thousands, millions of people. It's changed history. Martin Luther started the Reformation because of the book of Romans. John Wesley started the Wesleyan revivals -- Methodism began out of that. Augustine became a Christian because of the book of Romans. All throughout history, God has used the book of Romans to influence people's lives in ways you cannot imagine.

And in my opinion, chapter 8 is the highpoint in this book. So Romans 8 would be like the best of the best!

That is why I want to spend a lot of intense time reading this chapter in the bible (while doing my regular bible reading from other parts of the bible).

If you had also been reading this chapter or any other passages for that matter, do share your learning with me as well. It does not have to be an earth-shaking revolutionary insight, but it would be any insight that spoke into your heart.

Do share it with me such that I can learn together with you as well.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi PJ

I would like to praise the team that presented the play during the pre-easter service. Hope you can convey my compliments to them.

They did an excellent job and the play really helped in bringing out the message =)

March 17, 2008 7:17 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

I had told them how well they did already. Quite a lot of people were singing the praise of the item. They told me that it was really impactful.

I will relay your affirmation to them again.

March 17, 2008 10:51 pm  
Blogger Ying Fang said...

Dear Ps Jeff,

Thanks for highlighting the book of Romans to us. Incidentally, my unit is currently doing a book study on Romans for CG discussion. It is really good for building up a firm foundation of the Christian faith, though a bit challenging for the leaders due to some tough questions on doctrine of predestination vs free will, etc.

I shall highlight your blog entry to the group.

=)

March 18, 2008 11:36 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

That;s great ying fang. Do share your learning with me :)

March 19, 2008 12:02 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

the ultimate test of Romans 8:28...not when you quote the verse to encourage someone going through hard times...but when you have to exercise faith to apply the verse in the hard times that you face yourself.

the interesting thing about the verse is it doesn't say when things start to work for good...

but God IS good and in the end...the knowledge and experience of His love at the end of chapter 8 is sufficient to see us through anything!

March 19, 2008 2:42 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Wow... thanks Angela for sharing your insight on this. It is enriching.

March 19, 2008 11:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home