Monday, July 24, 2006

Great Trip...

I will be leaving Johannesburg in around 6 hours time. The trip had been most frutiful in every aspect.

With regards to the church, the objectives were clearly achieved. The spirit of the locals were raised to take ownership of our African church. The slogan has been "Africans for Africa". Jo and I can also see a strong team of local leaders rising up to take a greater role at the helm of leadership. Thank God for moving in the hearts of His people.

I also had the honor of visiting a church service in a shanty town consisting of people who work in a safari game resort. The meeting place was no larger than 4m by 6m. There were no ventilation and there were more than 25 people in the meeting. They were praising God with all their might (and it was really loud!). I was also given the task to share the Word in that meeting. Henry translated to Zulu for me. It was nothing like how we do it in Singapore. God is indeed a God of varieties and of the different nations. Two came to know Jesus and many responded to reaching out to their shanty town for the Lord. It was an awesome experience that I will take with me in my heart to the grave.

Our Hope Sunday service back in the city had also seen 4 first timer. Although it was a tremendously cold morning, the fellowship was really warm. One of our better-to-do member even bought stuff using his own money to create income for those in the church that were unemployed. This is Body Life at its very best. This is the gospel preached in the most practical form.

Yesterday afternoon, I had the most wonderful time when Ezekiel brought me to visit Soweto. It is such a historic place as it is the birthplace of the uprising against Aparthied in 1976. We visited the place where Mandela used to live. We also visited the Hector Pieterson's museum. It was such an enriching experience. I had been fascinated with this whole uprising since the days when I studied "Cry The Beloved Country" in my literature class. To be in Soweto, absorbing the sight and sound of it all was a great thing for me. I must really thank Ezekiel and Jo was arranging the whole thing.

Will be heading to the airport soon...

3 Comments:

Blogger yeu@nn said...

Wow... so encouraged n inspired... i wanna do something for Jesus too!!! :D

July 25, 2006 8:40 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

yes Yeu Ann, let's all do mroe for Jesus together!

July 25, 2006 11:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

August 16, 2006 7:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home