Thursday, October 12, 2006

Leading & Learning

This week is a much more relax week for me. I will only be preaching in the Young Adults Service in Grace AOG church on Saturday.

Because it had been rather tight for the past few weeks, I intentionally took the time during this week to just slow down and to read/watch/listen and learn in the evenings. It had been quite a while since I had the luxury of catching up on the resources.

Like Rick Warren had said over and over again, a leader is a learner. We need to continue to grow and develop such that we can lead our people forward. The moment we’re done learning, then we are really done!

Thus far, I had listened to 2 leadership teachings focusing on the need to be faithful and the checklist of leadership.

The first teaching was really refreshing as I was reminded again on the need to be faithful. The building blocks of a faithful life are built upon the many small things of our lives. We need to faithful with our words, faithful with every task that had been entrusted to us and our time. Faithful seems to be an “uncool old-school” concept of the past era. But in God’s dictionary, it is an eternal quality that he looks for in His people.

1 Corinthians 4:2
Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.

The second teaching brought me back to a character checklist for leadership found in 1 Timothy 3. Once again, these are not new revelations but simple qualities that I already know. However, it is one thing to know but quite another thing to actually do. I need to be very intentional to not only be a preacher of God’s truth but a practitioner as well.

Meanwhile, I am also watching a DVD entitled “The Trail and Testimony of The Early Church”. It chronicles the amazing story of early Christianity and how it thrives despite repeated attempts to suppress it. It gave me a deeper appreciation of church history and the faith of the founding fathers.

On the sideline, there is also this book that I had been flipping through rather slowly. I hope to complete perhaps a third of it by the end of this week. The book is about lasting leadership. It features lessons from the top 25 business people of our times. The list includes Andy Grove (Intel), Peter F. Drucker, Jack Welch (GE) and Sam Walton (Wal-Mart). I am doing my best to learn from varied leadership sources.

I think that I may have been too ambitious to try to absorb too many things at one go. Whatever the case, I hope to glean as much insight as I can from all these resources. Just as Jesus grew in wisdom, I need to follow suit as well.

A leader is a learner...

1 Comments:

Blogger Davina said...

Dear Ps Jeff,
thanks for exemplifying 'practising what you preach'. in what you just taught on growing in the area of mental capabilities/wisdom like Jesus..

:)

October 13, 2006 12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home