Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Very Tight Week

This is an extremely tight week for me.

After gathering the numerous feedbacks for the Sunday Adults Services, there are a few pointers to work on for this coming weekend. It appears that the work life series has blessed many believers. Many had told me that their eyes were opened and their hearts were convicted to becoming a much better salt and light in the marketplace. This is wonderful.

On the outreach side, the feedback is that the work life series would help the pre-believers to move up the scale but not necessarily to cross the line of faith as yet. Let’s continue to use this coming weekend for this purpose. Let’s continue to trust God for more to cross the line as well.

Please pray with me for the believers to be excellent in the marketplace and for the pre-believers friends to experience Jesus.

Till today, my sermon for this week is only about 60% done. I can really identify well with the title of the sermon for this week: Why Am I Working Like A Dog?!? I am a bit nervous about it. Anyway, I will work hard and ask God for His divine guidance for the sermon.

The other good news is that I had improved in my stamina for quite a fair bit. While I am still far from being the marathon material, I had increased my running time to around 45 minutes now. The theory is that you would only burn your reserve fats (and I have lots of them) after running for more than 30 minutes. The first 30 minutes of run does not burn any fats at all. That explains my size when I only run for 30 minutes maximum in the past…

My main purpose for running is to keep my mind and body fresh while I preach on the weekend. When I am unfit, I find my mind drifting immediately after I close my eyes in the attempt to pray. I may mouth theologically correct prayer words but my mind is totally disengaged. It does not help me to engage the people in aiding us to respond to God’s Word.

To be very honest, I really dread it on most times when I had to jog. It is really a case of self-denial and self-discipline (almost to the point of self-mutilation for me). I keep reminding myself that running is my way of loving God with my strength.

Jesus taught us to love God with all that we have. I attempt to increase my love for God in every one of the 4 aspects (listed in Mark 12) on an annual basis. Let’s all seek to love God more holistically in our lives in an ever increasing fashion.

Mark 12:30
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow Ps Jeff...good on you for wanting to keep physically fit! :) 45 min of jogging is very good. unfortunately the burn fat after 30 min is a fact :( but hey! even brisk walking will burn fat. keep it up! - angela in auckland -

October 05, 2006 3:56 am  
Blogger Davina said...

Dear Ps Jeff!
Wah, 30min or 45mins is very good already! I mean for your case of dread and to the point of self-mutilation, self discipline and denial.
For me, my stamina has decreased to 10min or 15 mins max (Rarely)..due to the above.
Jia you! In increasing your stamina more. Thanks for inspiring.. To love God with your physical despite it not being an easy or enjoyable one. May you learn to enjoy it as well!

Ya, (have just) prayed for myself and the believers to be excellent in the marketplace (not easy, that's why start with prayer and with it it's possible), and for our the pre-believers friends to experience Jesus this Sunday! Amen!
We (my CG) will likely to have friends again.

-Doreen

October 05, 2006 12:57 pm  
Blogger Ruey said...

Hey Ps Jeff,
Jia you. Jia you.

Once your body gets used to doing easy jog (approx 60-70% max heart rate)for 1 hr / ~10km distance, your body will suddenly cross the line to e next stage where the exercise becomes very pleasurable. (reason why endurance sport is additive to some)

I think you might not be too far from there.

Jia you, Jia you!

Ruey Feng

October 05, 2006 4:23 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks for all the advice. Now that I know the truth, I will be blessed if I do them!

October 06, 2006 9:29 am  
Blogger Huanyan said...

ganbatte yo!

October 06, 2006 4:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home