Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Night Before...

People would often ask me if I still get nervous before preaching. My answer would be "yes" most of the time. Thus, I am inspired to pen down my feelings before the services tomorrow.

I had done all my preparation as best as I could. In fact, my sermon preparation for tomorrow was completed on Monday. This is very rare as I mostly complete my weekend sermon only on Thursday. It was faster this week as I had more lead time this time round.

On the one hand, I am rather nervous when I think of the 45 minutes of preaching in front of all the people. I start to think of the many things that could possibly go wrong. "What if I am unable to connect my points? What if my mind goes blank (and it had gone blank before)? What if people find me boring and the sermon unhelpful at all? Wouldn't it be good if someone else was preaching beside me? Should I call in sick tomorrow?" These are the many reasons that would cause me to be nervous.

Then there was this time that it occured to me that all these concerns are I-me-myself focused. All these reasons are self-focused.

Gradually, these better thoughts would begin to bounce in my head. "I need to do my best to help people see the light: the believers must grow in Christ and the pre-believers need to hear a clear presentation of the gospel. It's not my word and my work after all; God only requires me to do my best and no more. I am a nobody doing God's work; a nobody should not be self-conscious and self-focused at all"

Over the years, I have matured in my understanding of my serving role. It has really helped me to put things in the right perspective about God, about others and about myself (and in that order of priority as well). I still struggle from time to time but I am doing better as time progresses.

Be it preaching, ushering, serving communion, leading worship, leading games in small groups, teaching in meetings, leading a meeting, sharing testimonies, putting up a drama; these God- and others-focused thoughts would serve us well.

To sum it up, John 3:30 says it excellently... "He must become greater; I must become less."

True servanthood, at it's deepest core, has no rights but only responsibilities.

11 Comments:

Blogger XIAOZU said...

Pastor jeff, I always enjoy your preaching. It's hillarious, practical, connecting to my heart, and from a humble heart... "preach it brother!".
Am bringing a friend.. looking forward to hear you.. Cheers!

October 01, 2006 1:27 am  
Blogger david said...

God bless you tremendously, ps. Jeff

October 01, 2006 4:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor Jeff, thanks for leading the morning prayehis sunday morning on the 1st Oct, it was a blessings, as I have struggle to hear what was being said thru the microphone, untill you went onstage. it was simple straight forward prayers pointers. koksiang

God bless you and your wife.

October 01, 2006 7:07 pm  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Wow... I love your quote, "true servanthood is not abt rights but responsibilities"

This will be stuck in my mind and heart =)

October 01, 2006 11:42 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks all for your comments. How Joo, did your friend turn up? If he/she is a pre-believer, did he/she cross the line?

October 02, 2006 9:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Pastor Jeff,

just wanna say that i really enjoy the sermons u preach n appreciate ur humour... thanks for teaching us God's Word... =)

October 02, 2006 6:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Jeff,

The sermon has taught me a lot on how to be salt n light in my workplace and to be one that is able to love and forgive those who are against us. I am glad to have learnt that and am re-learning again and again.

Take care Pastor!!

Yanyan

October 02, 2006 10:58 pm  
Blogger popuri said...

hey cool pastor,
tks for dropping by at my blog.. ;)& the prayer. Just wanna say that being Salt & Light emphasis is so so needful, we have a whole load of people in the workplace. Many of us dun know how to be opportunistic - more than just doing well, more than skillful. Some of us grow weary, some of us are fearful, some of us are two-faced, three-legged (sa kar), anyway... there's just SO MUCH pressure out there. i cried so much for the desire to shine brighter, yet trapped in so many seemingly cannot's and no choices. We need guidance!

October 03, 2006 8:56 pm  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Then there was this time that it occured to me that all these concerns are I-me-myself focused. All these reasons are self-focused.

Gradually, these better thoughts would begin to bounce in my head. "I need to do my best to help people see the light: the believers must grow in Christ and the pre-believers need to hear a clear presentation of the gospel. It's not my word and my work after all; God only requires me to do my best and no more. I am a nobody doing God's work; a nobody should not be self-conscious and self-focused at all"


Hey dear Ps Jeff, really thank God for what u shared! :) It was a very timely reminder... have copied your entry onto my blog... :)

Love,
YA

October 04, 2006 2:48 am  
Blogger ^_^ said...

hey ps jeff, your sermons have always been inspiring. thanks for letting God use you! :)

October 04, 2006 7:25 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

I am really glad that all of us have learnt much from the sermon. Yes, we really need to do our very best in the marketplace. With God on our side, it can be done.

Sharon, hope the baby is coming along well too :)

October 05, 2006 12:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home