Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Celebrating Pris’ Birthday

As Pris turned xx years old, a few of us had planned to surprise her with a birthday party. Claudia had asked some of us to hide in the bedroom and two of us (Mike and I) to hide in the airless bomb shelter when Pris arrived. To be honest, I did not really buy into such things. I had always felt that it was a female thing but I played along anyway, while dragging Mike with me.

After Pris arrived, those who came with her tried to keep her occupied with the food preparation. Pris had no idea that the rest of us were in other parts of the house. We took turn to pop out of our hiding places to surprise her. But the person who was most surprised was not Pris but me. I was surprised that Pris was genuinely surprised and she was touched that we had gone through all these efforts to make her birthday a little more special for her. I am learning new things all the time!

As Pris had put it, “it is the little things that matters most; the hiding of the shoes to not her know that more people are in the house and the choice of food knowing her allergies and protein needs. It’s a good feeling to realize that the people around you know you well.”

I must confess that most of the time, I do not take notice of small things. I even take pride that I am a “big picture” person!

I had to learn and re-learn again and again that it is in the little things, when done out of a sincere and loving heart, that touches the deepest part of the human soul. I guess the question is not so much if I am a big or small picture person but if I am a loving person or not. By God’s help, I shall do better in this department of my life.

I guess that is why the bible tells us that God even numbered the hairs on our heads. He loves us in small and big ways; in every ways.

Luke 12:6-7
Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.





Shirley, Ee Lee, Tamar & Pris






The food spread





Priscilla Tan...the birthday girl





Jas & Mike presenting the pregnant Limei






Jas & Lean Choo





The Chocolate Fondue Health Food





Pris making her birthday wish (she is shy about it)

4 Comments:

Blogger comeandfly said...

lovely bday!! :) and yesss, i totally agree with PJ! pris' someone who cares for people through knowing the little facts and details of the person! i was one of them so blessed by her. there was once, she knew i had all along wanted to get a styler for my sony clie but i didnt really think about it and one day she surprised me with one! :)

September 28, 2006 9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed myself. It was like a family gathering. Priscilla, one of the most creative person I've ever met, being surprised. :) I agree that Priscilla is a thoughtful person. I have seen her blessing people (me included)through her surprises. I guess one manifestation of love is surprises. :) Thanks Ps Jeff, Claudia and Priscilla. I am glad to be part of this family. :)

Michael

September 28, 2006 10:35 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

I am glad that we enjoyed the evening and that we also enjoyed the friendship with Pris. We shall do life together even more...

September 29, 2006 9:43 am  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Wow, thanks, Ps Jeff, for what you shared...

I had to learn and re-learn again and again that it is in the little things, when done out of a sincere and loving heart, that touches the deepest part of the human soul. I guess the question is not so much if I am a big or small picture person but if I am a loving person or not. By God’s help, I shall do better in this department of my life.

This part really touched my heart a lot. :D Learnt a lot from your blogs, please keep on sharing, bro!!! :D

Love ya lots,
YA

September 30, 2006 2:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home