Wednesday, August 23, 2006

8 Days, i-Weekly & Stuff...

After my meeting with the Adults leaders on Sunday, Mabel Lee shared with me that she reads i-weekly weekly. Fenny buys 8 Days once every 7 days. Fenny had promised to pass her 8 Days to me. This is cool!

In my meeting, I was telling the Adults that we need to be more relevant to the locals in order to reach more for Jesus. We need to have a thorough knowledge of both the world and the word in order to make the word relevant to the world as well as to connect the needs of the world to the word.

This is a very important Salt & Light concept that Jesus taught in Matthew 5:13-16 and John 17:14-19. We are to be in the world, not of the world and to influence the world.

We must be in the world in the sense that we must be relevant to the world. We must not create a Christian sub-culture filled with lingos, jargon and behavior (not referring to righteous living that is different from the world) that is totally strange to the people in the world. We do live in this world and we must be as "normal" and relevant as possible.

That is why I have recommended the book called "Struck By Lightning" (written by 4 local journalists on the P65 generation) and 8 Days magazine to help us stay abreast of the concerns, passion and happenings of the local adults.

I would also strongly recommend that we check out PM Lee's National Day Rally speech (http://app.sprinter.gov.sg/data/pr/2006082010.htm). I saw parts of it on TV and it really stirred my heart to do more for this nation.

We are not of the world in the sense that we have a different set of values. We do march to a different drumbeat. The bible is our guide and we want to live a life that pleases Jesus. Just like the boat is in the water but the water is not in the boat, we are in the world but we are not worldly.

Lastly, we are to also influence the world. Instead of fearing contamination from the world, we must infect the world with the love and truth of the gospel. We must not be passive but active in engaging the world to turn it around for Jesus. We want to engage every aspect and sector of our society. To do this well, we must be potent in our outreach and attractive in our lifestyle. If the pre-believers do not even like us, it is rather unlikely that they will love the God that we love.

To reach Singapore in a big way, the Salt and Light concept is key. Bible, 8 Days and i-weekly must indeed co-exist together...

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ps Jeff,

Indeed, your sharing in the Adults Team Meeting had left a great impact my group!! yeah !! we shall see the young adult, coming to Jesus, living out the bible, and celebrate when we're in heaven !!

Whaha !!

Impact the adults today to influence the Young adults tomorrow !

August 24, 2006 12:05 am  
Blogger Sunshine Glamour said...

hey Pastor Jeff,

just wanna let u know that i love ur sermons (:
i joined Hope about a month ago and ur sermons are really powerful.
way to go!
continue to impact people, to impact the market place!

praise the Lord. (:

August 24, 2006 2:41 am  
Blogger Huanyan said...

Hey pastor,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. When I was sitting inside UCC listening to PM speaking, when he started talking about heartware, it really struck and impressed upon me that as the salt and light of God in this world, we ought to play a pivotal role in imparting the right values to the nation,

August 24, 2006 11:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i absolutely agree. i m reminded of the great apostle paul's words...

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (The Message)

Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it! -- Just Do It! ;)

August 24, 2006 1:34 pm  
Blogger WeNdY tAn said...

Hi Ps Jeff,

Great blog. Btw, i'll try to see if i can get free subscription of 8 Days & I-Weekly for u. I work quite closely with the people there.

August 24, 2006 9:32 pm  
Blogger Soo Guan & Karen said...

Yes, need to be relevant. But 8 Days? Personally, I don't like some of these magazines 'cos they emphasie a lot on famous people personalities rather than their characters. And change in character must come from within rite? Yes, my inside is still a work-in-progress.

Another thing abt being relevant is BGR. Not sure why not really mentioned here. Anyway, I think we really need to catch up on some aspects in this area. I believe we have good biblical principles behind existing policies. But times change. So may need to re-look to assure ourselves we are still on the right track or need to update on certian domains. One thing I notice is that communication is key. Often, the message is distorted due to the messenger, & mostly unintentional.

August 24, 2006 10:35 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Wendy, thanks for the comment and thought. Appreciate you trying to get it free for me :)

Hi Soo Guang, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, we have been working on our BGR policy. Principles will not change but practices need to. Do pray with me that we will do this well. Our people deserves our best...

Hi Yuling, Charlie & Huan Yan, thanks for your comments. I appreciate all your sharing.

Let's all build the best church possible for Jesus!! God and I are on your side.

August 24, 2006 10:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello hip pastor Jeff,

Really inspired by ur this post and after watching the whole NDP rally, my burden for singapore increased as well :)

All the way!

I do think as we reach others, we need to build the inside deeper so their boats wont capsize as they go out n catch men relevantly :) just an opinion, continue to be hip!

August 25, 2006 12:57 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks Soo Guan & Leslie for bring up a very important truth. We need to build deep character. To be impactful, we need to have strong character on the inside. That is why I had been working hard on communicating attitudes, spirit and love as much as I can in as many appropriate settings. I want to teach and model & model and teach. That's Jesus way and that's the only way!

August 25, 2006 9:56 am  
Blogger JesuaFreak said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 25, 2006 4:51 pm  
Blogger JesuaFreak said...

hi PJ,

JX here.. dropped by.. hee~..

the book "Struck by lightning" is okay.. i read it b4.. found it to be so-so.. but contents wise, its pretty insightful lor..

Look forward to seeing more of u..

August 25, 2006 4:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home