Monday, August 21, 2006

Purposely Tired

Since coming back from Europe on Friday (11 August), I had preached on the immediate weekend. It really took a lot out of me to do the 3 services.

Then on Monday (14 August), I taught in a leadership course. I had a fantastic time with these emerging high level leaders. We discussed and sparred with one another on differing leadership ideas and thoughts. It was very fulfilling for me to spend time with the people.

Tuesday was a day for me to catch up on house chores and family matters. We had been away for 2 weeks and there were quite a lot of catching up to do in these departments of our lives. We visited my in-laws for dinner and we went home as early as we could to plan our month ahead. We planned on the important projects to accomplish and people to meet. I was totally exhausted at the end of a long but totally necessary planning.

Wednesday was work followed by leadership huddle. The best thing about these leadership huddles for me was that we have an excuse to have supper. A few of our friends (Shirley and gang) and us went to this wonderful Teowchew porridge place. We ate and encouraged one another towards greater things (really did that and not a cliché) before reaching home at around midnight.

Thursday was a time to catch up with my family. We love my parents and we were really glad to see them. We went out for dinner and we spoke about housing plan for the future. Thank God for giving me wonderful wonderful folks.

Friday night was a time with Yean Shien. We invited Yean Shien to our house and we chatted and spoke about family, dreams, work and our past. We connected much better and deeper. Then at around 11pm, we visited one of my member's dad's funeral wake. We did our best to offer words of comfort and strength.

Saturday was preaching for me. I preached in 3 services and in between the 2nd and 3rd service, I had the privilege of attending the Indonesian group 2nd Anniversary celebration. It was really inspiring for me to see our group working together to remember God's goodness as well as to plan in pioneering an Indonesian service in the early part of 2007. Well Done People! I ended my day at around 9 plus and I saw how my team thrashed Fulham 5-1! God is real again!!!!

Sunday morning was spent with the Mandarin group. I was so tried after a week's of activities. I was so tired that I actually fell asleep during worship. Thank God that I woke up on time for the communion and for my preaching. In the afternoon, I was blessed to have the opportunity to spend time with all the adults leaders. As I stood on stage, I can see the many faces of some of my best friends in the church. It was great...

We ended our evening by celebrating with Mike for his 30th birthday. I really enjoyed my adults team. We ate and we talked and we ate and we talked. Even as we ate and talk, we were planning where and when we should meet to eat and talk again.



That's our team in a Thai resturant. Sunny is praying for the food! Alan could not make it :( And the handsome man behind the camera is me!

As I reviewed my week on Sunday night, I did my best to recall all the people that I had met and shared lives with. I was really tired. But I was taught since I was a younger believer that we will all get tired in life. We get tired either from working too much, party too much, play too much, shop too much, even from resting too much. It is one thing to get tired and it is another thing to get tired purposefully. That is why I had been taught that we need to be purposely tired (purposely get tired over a purpose).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Purposely Tired'

Sounds familiar. That's the title of the lead article in the first issue of the Hope Singapore newsletter that I received (and I still hv a copy of it!). The concept of being tired for a worthy purpose was revolutionary to me. Thanks for the reminder.

KC aka '8 Days Fan'

August 22, 2006 11:13 pm  
Blogger Huanyan said...

hey pastor, you are not the only one who is desperately trying to upload pics =P

August 22, 2006 11:36 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey Celine, thanks for your comment. Indeed, I try to be as real as I can in hope that we can mutually encourage one another. Let's all keep our hearts close to God.

Hey KC (my old buddy), if you can still remember the title of the newsletter, it reveals our age! Yes, i can still vividly recall that newsletter and it remained in my heart until today. I would love to see it! It should be classified as our historical writing in our church life!

August 23, 2006 2:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home