Saturday, August 26, 2006

Life, Death & People

On Friday night, I received a sms telling me that one of our members had been informed that her mum had only weeks left to live. We are continuing to pray and believing in God for a miracle. Then as I was reading this sms, another one came in informing me that his wife is pregnant. In the span of a few seconds, both the faces of death and the joy of new life flashed across my mind.

This did not cause me to be more philosophical about life and death. It only reminded me of what I already know. We will all experience life and death in our lives. We will all experience the joy of seeing our love ones being born and also the pain of our love ones passing on in life. The most advance technology may be able to delay death but it cannot prevent death. The healthiest people may die slim and trim but they will still die.

What the sms-es on Friday really did to me was to remind me of the need to cherish my life and the people around me. I do not want to take people around me for granted. At the end of the day, it is people that really matters.

Today, I spent some time with a wonderful friend in our church. The last time we spent time together was more than 4 years ago as he had been overseas. We talked (he did most of it) and we got up to speed of the happenings in our lives (mostly his). At the end of our meeting, he said something that really moved my heart. He said that he was really glad that we had met up. And he said this... "there are times in my life when I am lonely and I am very glad that we can talk."

I wonder how many people are there in my scope of influence that are feeling this way. I wonder how many of my friends that needed to talk have gone un-noticed by me. I wonder how many times have my eyes failed to see, my ears failed to listen and my heart failed to feel.

May Jesus live under my skin more and more.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading your blog posts is surprisingly ministering, reminds me of some things in a different light. or maybe its just me. haaha. agape. =)

August 27, 2006 12:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hey.. I like ur surmons as they are full of joy and laughter.

Anyway, "miracle", I do expect a miracle from God because my faith believes.

So let continue praying.

Love: me

August 29, 2006 4:17 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi maart, I am glad that the blogs is ministerng to you. That's one of my objectives in setting up the blog.

Hi me, let's continue to pray and believe together...

August 29, 2006 8:58 pm  
Blogger sandra lim said...

Hi Ps Jeff.. :)

Am very encouraged by your blog. It has been very real and honestly, each time I read your blog, it's as if I can imagine you talking in real person. That is how real I felt that you are.

Keeping you and your family in prayer as you minister to us!

Cheers!

August 29, 2006 9:07 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks Sandra... your comment makes my day and encourage me to serve Him better...

August 30, 2006 8:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home