Monday, January 15, 2007

Blood Diamond

Last night was my first movie after sleeping through the whole of “Open Season”. It was a highly recommended movie from some friends. I was not a big fan of Leonardo Dicaprio from the days of Titanic. But I must say that this movie really change my view about Leonardo. I just loved his white African accent.

The movie is around 2 ½ hours long but it was worth every minute of it.


















I am not sure why this is so but most African-setting movies seem to always do it for me. The scenes of injustice and lawlessness would cause me to want to stand up and fight alongside them. This is of course easier said than done.

The movie exposed how people were fighting and exploited because of greed. It shows how our world is so linked. The butterfly effect is indeed so true here in an economic sense.

The thing that struck me most was the child-soldier part. Children are indeed so malleable; for good and for evil. They are indeed like wet cement: whatever imprints you leave, it will last forever.

Anyway, this is a good movie. Please watch it if you have not done so. I am quite sure that you would enjoy it as well.

Perhaps missions department should consider using this as missions awareness to the continent of Africa…

3 Comments:

Blogger Silent Lucidity... said...

yes, i second that.
this show is way better than Brokeback and deserved the best picture in oscars! More meaning, more insights, actors were excellent. Ps Jeff, you have good taste man.. and man utd rOckz. I'm using your Man Utd wall paper already. thanks!

January 15, 2007 5:23 pm  
Blogger Rachel Tham said...

Hey Pastor Jeff,

I totally agree with you on the movie, me and my friend cried when we watched the movie. It was especially poignant in its theme and what struck the both of us was that the price of that small piece of rock is worth more than a man's life.

The floodgates opened for us when we too saw the "child-guerillas" , the father Solomon asking his own son, Dia to drop the gun at him. Makes me wonder over my influence as a teacher over the kids i will be facing too.

It's a highly recommended movie!

January 17, 2007 1:59 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

hi both, glad that both of you enjoyed the movies as well. I will write more about movies, both good and not so good ones, as I watched them. We can then all give our comments on them :)

GV should pay me.

January 17, 2007 9:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home