Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ng Ah Sio Pork Ribs Soup Eating House

I have always enjoyed food and one of my favorite television programs have also been food programs.

I figured that it would be hard for me to ever appear on television. Thus I had decided a couple of weeks ago to do a “blog food program”. It may not win me any awards but it would fulfill two of my enjoyments in life.

Firstly, I get to enjoy and try out all sorts of food (which I am already doing). Next, I get to introduce all these food to you as well.

The first stall (hopefully not the last one) that I am blogging is a famous one. Just recently, the ex-Thai premier dropped by our island and had a little meal with his friends at this place. This is also the famous (or infamous) stall that turned away a top Hong Kong politician because of her short opening hours.

Some have highly recommended me on this stall while Joshua Ng told me that the stall at his house in Ang Mo Kio tastes much better.

Anyhow, the testing of the pudding is in the eating. So Claudia and I decided to travel all the way to 208 Rangoon Road to find out for ourselves.














The soup is the peppery type. For Pork Ribs soup, there are basically two types: the peppery type and the herbal type.

This one is really peppery. The meat is tender and the soup is thick. I like it pretty much.

We also ordered some Braised Pork Knuckles (the stall calls it Pig Leg - literal translation from dialect). We asked for leaner ones and it tastes really good. I like this more than the Pork Ribs soup.

The fried fritters were only okay. It wasn’t that crispy and it was way overpriced. It costs $2 for a small bowl.














What I also enjoyed was the tea. The tea leaves came in a small packet and you are supposed to prepare it on your own. There is a kettle of hot water placed on top of a stove beside every table in typical Pork Ribs Tea (literal translation) Style.














Overall, the meal is good. It is definitely better than normal store but it is a bit too pricey. This whole meal cost us $19 which is more than what other stores would charge.

Do try it and if you had already tried it before, let us know your comments on this stall.

I think the store owner should pay me for this free publicity!

11 Comments:

Blogger eyeport said...

I dont mean to bring discouragement here but I prefer the gym content than food. hahaha.

January 24, 2007 8:07 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha Felix... eat and then exercise. We need both...

January 24, 2007 10:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah... finally found a common interest with my better twin...

http://jedojeja.blogspot.com/2007/01/grannys-birthday.html

See the bottom part...

Another one also...
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=cpkg5g5.ozbpwn9&x=0&y=mel7as
Esp the last few pict...

One day... must bring you go and try...

January 25, 2007 12:06 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wah... finally found a common interest with my better twin...

http://jedojeja.blogspot.com/2007/01/grannys-birthday.html

See the bottom section...

Another one also...
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=cpkg5g5.ozbpwn9&x=0&y=mel7as
Esp the last few pict...

One day... must bring you go and try...

January 25, 2007 12:07 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha Jeff Lim... yes, we can go makan together.

January 25, 2007 9:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried the bak kut teh before.

The strong pepper soup has it own unique taste.

January 26, 2007 9:35 am  
Blogger eyeport said...

hmm...why is it called X2024?

January 26, 2007 7:46 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

X2024 means Acts 20:24. Check it out!

January 26, 2007 8:48 pm  
Blogger eyeport said...

Amen Amen! Let's race. ^^

January 27, 2007 7:20 pm  
Blogger Wen Jiang said...

I'm the Joshua Ng that claims that the AMK stall is the best. I still believe so. I think pepper soup by itself just doesn't work! Anyway if anyone is peeved with the food or service at Ng Ah Sio, I suggest you explore this other outlet along Balestier Rd - Founder's Bak Kut Teh. Service is good and prompt, it's the peppery kind and it won't cost you a bomb.

February 01, 2007 5:55 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Joshua is obviously a herbal soup person :) keep eating and let us know if you have any new discoveries. Josh is a food guy!

February 01, 2007 10:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home