Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Thank You Connie

Claudia and I first knew Connie when she was leading Hope Taipei. She was well-known for her determination and single-mindedness.

Around 3-4 years ago, her husband got a posting to Singapore for his job and the whole family was then moved to our little island state. Taipei loss was indeed our gain!

For the past years, Connie had contributed greatly to our Mandarin ministry. She led the worship ministry as well as led a growing Adults group. Under her leadership, many aspects of the church prospered and matured.

During this period of time, I also had the privilege of connecting so much more with her family. Personally, I had the indescribable joy of meeting up with Leo (Connie’s husband) in various settings. I even got him to speak to some of the pastoral leadership groups and the business group as well.

As God would have it, Leo has now got a posting to work in Hong Kong, China. Because of that, the whole family had to pack and leave again. This time, Singapore’s loss is Hong Kong’s gain.

It was with a sense of both sadness and joy that we said thank you and good bye to Connie. We are sad as we will surely miss her “can-do” spirit and strong armor-bearing heart. We are happy because we know that God will surely use her to greater measure in another land. You cannot keep a good man (woman) down!

The Mandarin team and us took the time to have a sumptuous dinner on Sunday night. It was a long dinner. We even huddled up together outside the restaurant at around 11pm to pray for the church and for Connie. I took them that this was probably the most spiritual dinner that I have had in my life.

When I reached home last night, a myriad of emotions came over me. I thought about the wonder of the church and how God brought such different and unique people together. I thought about individuals that I had heart links with. I thought about both the joy and challenges of ministry.

Thank you Connie for enriching my life. I am eternally grateful to God for allowing our life paths to cross.






James







Connie & James





Andrew, Sau Hoi & Connie







Alvin & Yumin





The whole gang

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, she's a faithful and dedicated servant of God. God's peace is so evident in her life. Will miss her.

So will Ming Yi and brother go with her?

October 09, 2007 11:57 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey HT, cannot agree with you more that we will miss her. Ming Yi will go with the family while Harry will go later after completing his National Service in Nov...

October 09, 2007 1:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err... In your fourth paragraph you mentioned the oxymoron "undesirable joy" of knowing Connie's husband... Not sure if you meant something else?

October 09, 2007 2:12 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha. I meant Indescribable Joy. Thanks for pointing it out.

Will amend it!

October 09, 2007 3:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Sister Connie for serving the Mandarin church people. You are a model for us to follow.

October 10, 2007 11:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home