Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Day Of Feasting & Fellowship

One of the things that I had been observing over the years is that many of our church guys tend to put on weight over time. As I looked at old photos, most of the guys have “grown” rather significantly.

I guess there are probably 2 key reasons for this phenomenon. Firstly, living in Singapore has limited our range of recreational activities. I think Singapore national sport really is eating. My bet is that many of us would know where to get what kind of best food around the island.

Secondly, as we age, we mostly do life together through conversations. And what better Singaporean way of conversing than over food. We do life together eating.

I woke up feeling rather stuffed this morning. The reason is because I did life in a big way with some brothers over 2 big meals yesterday. For lunch, Alan and I enjoyed the buffet at Merchant Court Hotel. We ate and discussed over many matters for almost a good 3 hours. It was very rewarding in every sense of the word. For food, there were oysters, salmon, durian pudding, chocolate fondue with fruits, crabs claws and many more. On our talk, we spoke about ministry, life, work and various friends and other matters.

We had earlier planned to go to TCC after the buffet but there was no more space for even a drop of coffee.

After a meeting at Nexus in the evening, Sunny and some of the guys decided to go to Geylang for durian. This is mainly to celebrate Sunny’s birthday. It was a first for me but apparently, some of these guys had done this sort of night eating tours before. To our dismay, the durian season is almost over and we could not get our “hairy mountain king” durian (literal translation that I had learnt from Dave Yew). We had to settle for the lower grade types.














As the fruit and the drinks were laid out, we began to share the happenings in our lives. We talked about the challenges in our work, our exercise routine (or the lack of it), our upcoming overseas trips and others.

When I reached home at just over the midnight hour, I was totally exhausted. I guess my body had been working overtime to digest the large amount of food that I had consumed. My body was really bloated. My heart was rather filled as well. As I rested on my bed, I recalled snippets of the various contacts that took place during the day. I prayed to God that I had somehow been able to share some of the God-life in me with the people around me.

God promised us that when we see Him in heaven, there is going to be a banquet laid out for us. It is going to be a feast of rich food (not low fat healthy tasteless food!) consisting the best of meats and wines.

Isaiah 25:6-9
On this mountain the LORD Almighty will prepare a feast of rich food for all peoples, a banquet of aged wine-- the best of meats and the finest of wines.

So I guess what I did yesterday was like a rehearsal of some sorts for the greatest feast that is to come!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor, I cant agree more with what you said. It is really all about eating through conversing and fellowshipping. Last Friday, I had Seoul Garden with my caregroup, celebrating the end of Holidays. And my group(DI) and some of the brothers and sisters from NYP, NP went to feast at the Tao Huey(Soya Bean)stall around Dobhy Ghuat Area after Saturday Service. That is why I can't agree more with you that Food is really Singaporean's National Sport.

I think we also need to have an healthy lifestyle by hitting the gyms on Sunday.

October 17, 2006 1:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brothers, exercise! don't think u would like to c ur lovely sisters spiritually up but physically more unfit as the days go by either....... :)

October 17, 2006 3:15 pm  
Blogger yeu@nn said...

Haha... the Standard Chartered Marathon's coming up soon... =D but haha, thank God, like what Ps Jeff said, in heaven we're gonna FEAST...

"God promised us that when we see Him in heaven, there is going to be a banquet laid out for us. It is going to be a feast of rich food (not low fat healthy tasteless food!) consisting the best of meats and wines."

It really struck me that God also likes a good feast too. XD

Ah, but dun feast too much - we don't want to be seeing Jesus too soon becos of that... :P else He'll ask, "Hey! How come you're here so early?" :P

October 18, 2006 2:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home