Saturday, October 20, 2007

Hospital Visitation Of Another Kind

On Thursday, I visited two persons in Singapore General Hospital. Firstly, Claudia and I visited her aunt. She just had an operation and she was recovering well. We brought some grapes and simply chat with her and talk to her about her recovery.

After spending around 30 minutes with Claudia’s aunt, we went to another block in the hospital to visit my aunt (my mum’s sister). She had some growth in her intestine and she too, just got out from an operation.

When I first saw my aunt lying on her bed, she looked really sick. She had tubes coming out and going into her! Her children (my cousins) were around her. She was sitting in an almost upright position in her bed.

I walked over to my aunt to let her know that I was there. As I was really near here, she called me “Sandy”. Sandy is the name of another male cousin that is around 10 to 15 years my senior.

It was then that I thought the worst of things. To not be able to even recognize your close ones is a sign that things are not too well. I was really worried as I turned to look at my cousins. They stared back at me blankly!

Again I approached my aunt and once again she called me Sandy. I was really worried as I looked at my aunt with really compassionate eyes. I did not know how to respond to her.

It was at this moment that she leaned slightly towards me and said, “I know that you are Jeff lah. I was just pulling your leg...” Then she began to smile and tried really hard to contain her laughter with those tubes around her.

I did not know to laugh or to cry! I had wanted to laugh because my aunt really pulled a fast one on me. It got me big time! I had also wanted to cry because she really put me through some serious emotion roller coaster ride. I feared the worst and now it was all a prank!

I prayed for her before leaving some 30 mintues later.

I really enjoy this aunt of mine. She is one of the funniest persons I know. By the way, she is around 70 years old already! I wish I can have her sense of humor even when I am that sick.

Love you Auntie Maureen! You’re beyond cool!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy!

October 21, 2007 7:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your heart. Even great men feel afraid at times. But "take heart! I have overcome even death ' said Jesus.

October 21, 2007 11:12 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Sandy?! You're funny :)

Yes abc, Jesus has indeed overcome all, even death.

October 22, 2007 10:25 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

So that's where your sense of humour came from :)

Ying Soon

October 22, 2007 9:18 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Ying Soon, my aunt's good looking as well (as you would have probably guessed)!

October 22, 2007 10:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home