Friday, October 12, 2007

Sleeping - The Art Of Entrusting

Recently, I read an article about the mystery of sleeping. The author wrote that the ability to go to sleep is somewhat of a mystery that God gives to. It can be futile to try too hard to obtain sleep.

This spoke to me as for a couple of years, I used to have quite a lot of challenge in getting to sleep. I remembered setting goal that I must fall asleep within the next 20, 30 minutes but it did not work.

I also recalled how I believe God know that I am an activistic person and the only time that He can get my attention is probably at night. In my old room where I could see the stars at night, I termed it as a camp trip with God out in the open night. It was great but the only question I had was why was God dating me for camping trips on such regularity?!

I had envied some of my friends who told me that they can go to sleep almost instantly. Some even told me that they can sleep anywhere (like in a sitting position, like using two chairs as bed etc). I marveled at how sleep comes so easily for these folks.

Many people had also recommended remedies to help me sleep better. There were special tea (with some drugs in it), kiwi fruit, hot milk, honey drink, showers, drinking wine and not drink wine etc. Recently, I got a gift in the form of a special kind of fragment spray and it was rather helpful too.

Thanks be to God; since shifted to this new place, there were only 3-4 sleepless nights from the past 3-4 months. As I do a stock take, there are a few factors.

Firstly, we bought a much better mattress than the old hand-me-down one that we had. This one is much better and firmer. I do not wake up with tired shoulders like in the past. Thank God for Sealy! Sealy is the brand of the new mattress. It also helps Claudia greatly as she has back problem.

Secondly, the new ceiling fan is much cooler than the old floor fan.

Thirdly, the present place is much quieter than the old one. You can hear a pin-drop in the present room.

Mostly, I have learnt the secret of entrusting things to God even more. In the context of Psalm 127:1-2, God is saying that He will grant sleep when we understand that it is He that is building His World. God is in control.

I had yet to meet any child that had insomnia!

Psalm 127:1-2
1 Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain.
2 In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat— for he grants sleep to those he loves.

So a couple of nights ago when I was in bed getting ready to sleep, I intentionally prayed to God about some stuff that were in my heart and reminded myself that He is in charge and I am now handling over this issue to Him as I go to sleep. Lo and behold, I was out almost instantly!

So at the end of the day, it is more than just about getting to sleep. It is really about learning to entrust our stuff to God because He truly cares and He is able. Simple truth that is easier said than lived out!

Sleep tight people ZZzzz...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor, happy zzzzz! jt

October 11, 2007 10:18 pm  
Blogger PSPT said...

its time for me to pray and sleep too! ha! Thanks for posting encouraging and enriching sharing regularly. You do not influence and inspire over the pulpit only but also with your lifestyle. Salute* Thanks for being a sincere and authentic leader, i've learned much from you. thanks Pastor. will pray for you and Claudia ^^

October 12, 2007 1:32 am  
Blogger Zachary said...

I totally totally agree!

I remember trying to sleep while leading my first mission trip in Sibu. I woke up every hour from 10pm to 7am! As funny and stupid it is, it is really an issue about trust. haha

Oh well.... i better pray more.

October 12, 2007 9:16 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks abigail for praying. We appreciate it much!

Yes Zac, as we grow in Him and do more for Him, there will be more sleepless nights coming up. But we will resist these sleepless night by learning to trust! Sleep well young man...

October 12, 2007 12:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do believe that trusting in God is the way to go!..... Personally I used to have insomnia and difficulty getting to sleep. Even if I eventually fell asleep, I would have difficulty staying asleep.... What I found helpful was to pray like this, when I was desperate, to pray honestly to God.. and to BELIEVE His providence... :

"Dear Father Lord! You are in control of my life. I am desperate for sleep!! And I can only turn to you. For you have promised, (Psalm 127)
You grant sleep to those you love! So Lord, I claim your promise.

...grant me sleep. Let me cast ALL my cares on you , for YOU care for me. And have a peaceful, restful sleep tonight,. and I will wake up tomorrow refreshed, alert and awake! THANK YOU LORD!" :D ... now I seldom have difficulty falling asleep at night.

Other practical advice would include trying to keep 'regular' hours such as sleeping by a certain time every night so that our body's biorhythm is not haywire

October 15, 2007 3:08 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks much MJ!

October 15, 2007 5:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home