Sunday, October 14, 2007

Withdrawal Syndrome

A few nights ago while I was reading the bible, something from Luke 5:15-16 hit me right between my eyes.

I was reading through Luke 5 as I was preparing for the Filipino sermon for Sunday. Below is what is recorded in chapter 5 verses 15 & 16.

Luke 5:15-16
Yet the news about him (Jesus) spread all the more, so that crowds of people came to hear him and to be healed of their sicknesses. But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

The above passage took place on the backdrop of Jesus healing someone with leprosy. Because of Jesus teaching and healing of the sick, crowds began to be drawn to him.

However, Jesus was not overwhelmed by the attention and fame. He did not begin to oriented his life around the crowd but he chose to be even more connected to God. He did not play to the crowd but he played to the drumbeat of God.

My guess is that Jesus knew that his source of strength came from his communion with His heavenly Father. Jesus understood that in order to minister to the needs of the people more effectively, he needed to be ministered by His Father first.

I also think that Jesus needed to get away from the cries of crowd long enough in order to hear the whispers of God.

As I reflected upon my own life, this is one withdrawal syndrome that I can do with. This is one withdrawal syndrome that I need to have on a consistent basis.

Withdrawal is a time when we draw strength from the ultimate Source!

5 Comments:

Blogger longyao said...

:)Amen

October 13, 2007 10:58 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

amen to your amen longyao

October 15, 2007 9:57 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow... that's so true. We do need to take time out to be with God, alone with HIM.

October 15, 2007 1:31 pm  
Blogger jaspoon said...

I totally agree with you Ps Jeff! There are times where the best thing to do is to withdraw to get my perspectives right then my heart will be strengthen as well. :)

October 15, 2007 5:47 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Boy & Jas, let's all date Jesus more often!

October 15, 2007 7:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home