Thursday, November 15, 2007

Isaiah 40:27-31

On Sunday, while waiting in the car, I listened to this particular song from Lincoln Brewster. In the middle of the song, it has a part where a little girl would recite Isaiah 40:27-31. And it was this part that ministered to my heart.

But as I take the time to pray, I sense that this encouragement is for many of you who will be reading this entry as well. I hope this will give you the extra strength to walk through the valleys moments of your lives.

Please take a moment and read through and ponder over these verses…

Isaiah 40:27-31
27 Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the LORD; my cause is disregarded by my God"?
28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

God is saying that He has not disregarded your cause. He has certainly not forgotten you. He is the everlasting God that doesn't change. God is completely consistent and dependable. He is faithful to keep His word and promises. Man may forget and let you down but God never will!

The bible says that God gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. It speaks that the qualification to receive God’s strength and power is to be weary and weak. And that is great news for many of us. It is about coming to a state where we recognize our own weaknesses and limitations.

God also reminds us to not place our confidence in our youth or human capability. While these are wonderful things, they are not our ultimate source of confidence.

As we put our hope in the Lord, we will have our strength renewed.

We will soar on wings like eagles. Eagles soar as they glide across the open skies with the winds supporting them beneathe their wings. The wind is likened to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit.

This gliding of the eagles can be contrasted to birds that flap their wings vigorously when they fly; seems rather tiring.

We will run and not get tired. This takes lots of faith and imagination for me to comprehend. But people have told me that as you run, you will eventually reach a threshold where it will be a breeze to keep on running. Apparently, I have not found my threshold as yet (or ever!)

We will walk and not be faint or be lagged behind. Even when we walk slowly, as we walk with His strength, we will not lag behind. So it is not a matter of how fast we walk but who do we walk with that really matter.

As I pray in the spirit, I hope this passage will add much courage and strength to you.

9 Comments:

Blogger happy said...

hi pastor jeff,
i read ur blog...indeed,it speak to me and encourage me at this point of time.thanks! God bless

November 16, 2007 12:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when hope is gone, the one you love 'gone', when you feel nothing but hopelessness, when the taste is salty, i guess giving up is the most tempting choice.

November 16, 2007 7:58 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi happy, I am really glad that God spoke to you through his Word. He is dependable.

Giving up is often tempting. It is normal to feel this way when times are tough. I would like to suggest that you pray and talk to some people who can help you.

In Christ, it is always too early to give up. God will come to help you if you continue to trust and walk in His ways. I just prayed for you...

November 16, 2007 12:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

talk...but human tend to be cynical and judgemental

no one can truly understand what i am going through

November 17, 2007 9:07 pm  
Blogger longyao said...

Thank you very much Pastor Jeff. The giving up is me, longyao actually. One thing that I always can't give thanks enough to God is this church , Hope Singapore family that I am growing up and be part of it. When I feel helpless, the first thing I thought of is ppl like you and this church. It warms my heart.

Your love and care is definitely the reason why I can open up and share, because you are trustworthy and reliable. Your advice and prayer encourage me a lot a lot. In fact today I just prayed a bit much longer than usual, thanks for the suggestion. It lifts me up. I have thought of a person that I will want to share to. He is like you, willing to help me and wanting the best for me.

Giving up become giving it all up to God, because He cares for us, and the church ppl also :) Thank you very much!!

November 17, 2007 11:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Jeff,
Come'on join the Hope Premier League with us! Be the defender that heads the ball out of the goal post

November 18, 2007 12:35 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Long Yao, God and many of us are here to support and help you. We will certainly need your support and help as well when we are down :)

You are in my prayers.

haha ky. That was more than 20 years ago! But I will do my best. The spirit is willing but the flesh is not only weak, but piling up as well!

November 18, 2007 9:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ps Jeff! I was from y-hope, and I'm currently studying in Melb, serving in planetshakers city church. I haven't dropped by your blog for quite some times, but decided to today.
Anyway, in respond to your entry, when eagles are tired, they'd fly for 40 days to a mountain and rest on a rock [high up]- as close as it can possibly get to the sun. they start plucking their feathers [7000] one by one. And later, they stand naked near the sun waiting for the regrowth of their feathers.
Wiating is like expecting for God and as they stand high up at the rocks, near the sun, it's like getting close to God and as they pull out their feathers, it is like pulling out their sins et cetera, and then new revelations came. It is better to be painful and changing, than painful and not changing. And being naked, it's like being naked before God and going into a deeper intimacy with God and wait for the fulfillment of God's promises!
Just some interesting insights about eagles! And it just shows us how amazing God is!
And thanks heaps for all your posts, they really help all of us truckloads =)
May God bless you and anoint your words.

November 25, 2007 9:26 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Thanks shiyou. Your sharing is most insightful. Hope all is going very well with you in Mel :)

Take care and walk with Jesus always!

November 25, 2007 9:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home