Sunday, July 06, 2008

Book Recommendation - Joshua

After poring through the book of Acts, I am presently almost through studying the book of Joshua for my devotion.

In order to help myself gain greater insight into the book of Joshua, I bought “Lessons From The Life Of Joshua” by Henry & Richard Blackaby from Hope Resource.

At the start, I was having difficulty concentrating on this book as it is quite deep and has numerous insights that needed time for digestion. However, as I set aside time to really read and study and follow the thought patterns of the writers, I have gained so much insight.

Joshua was indeed a marvelous leader. And from this book, I can see how God had been preparing and molding him for such a task as taking His people into the Promised Land. Joshua’s past was difficult. He grew up observing how his leaders and friends live life of faithlessness. He also had to pay the price of the people around him by wandering in the wilderness for up to 40 years.

Through it all, Joshua continued to focus on God and never let these circumstances and people detract him away from God and His purpose.

I am about 75% through now with the book of Joshua and this Blackaby book. I have grown to appreciate many insights into Joshua’s life and I have been challenged to follow like-wise.

I would like to encourage you to do the same as well. Take time to read through the book of Joshua and as the same time, read this Blackaby book on the side. With such focus and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I am very sure you will gain many insights as I did.

Do share your insight with me. I yearn to learn together with you…

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Jeff

Brought my non-believer friend to attend service today on "Chasing the Wind" and she could identify with some points spoken and she was touched by the service and truly enjoyed your preaching. Though she has not crossed the line of faith yet, I believe God will touch her heart one day! Amen.
Thanks for the job well done today :)

July 06, 2008 9:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Pastor,

Today's programme was refreshing especially the "gameshow" segment. It was engaging and very real. Great way to share testimonies in a less "commercial" and fun manner.

Well done guys! =)

July 06, 2008 11:53 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Yes Joyce. Keep praying for her and also help her to come to a point of faith in Jesus :) This is so exciting.

Agree with you fully Andrew.

The whole team did a wonderful job. Emma has led all of us to all give our best. I enjoyed the talk show very much as well. Chris Goh is hilirious! It is a very creative way to share testimony :)

July 07, 2008 10:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

press on pastor!

July 07, 2008 9:15 pm  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Oh ya... forgot to add that I read this book but not the workbook that you are recommending.

Its a very helpful read about Joshua. Do need to be a leader to read it as it provides one a good start in how to study the bible and a biblical character, and be blessed by the richness of His eternal principles.

July 08, 2008 12:23 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Will press on :)

That's good Andrew. You are a self starter. Yes, the bible is really rich in teaching us many preious lessons.

There is another one on Paul that I intend to read after I complete this one soon.

July 08, 2008 8:40 am  
Blogger The Recreation Corner said...

Sorry I meant "Do NOT need to be a leader to read it (the book)..."

July 08, 2008 11:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home