Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My New Toy... Pedometer

A couple of months ago, one of my Aussie pastor friends was in Singapore. I noted that he has lost quite a lot of weight. He told me that his secret was to walk more. He told me that there is quite a big campaign in some Aussie quarters where they are encouraged to cover certain distance by walking every single day.

If my memory serves me right, they are encouraged to take between 10,000 to 20,000 steps every day.

Anyhow, I was inspired and he said that he will buy one of these measuring tools for me. It is called a pedometer. It is an instrument that helps us measure the amount of distance we covered everyday via walking.

Yesterday, my new toy arrived from Australia!

So like an eager beaver, I wore it immediately to measure how much distance I am able to cover everyday. For now, as this is new and I am still quite conscious of its presence, I find it hard to stay still even while I am talking to someone. I am just eager to cover more mileage so I would walk around even while talking to people.

I am like some sugar-intoxicated hyper-active child with worms in the backside that just cannot stay still!

One of my colleagues once commented to me that people in Singapore are generally too lazy to walk. We would drive to eat even though it is just a short 10 minute walk away. He also commented that walking is one of the best exercises that we can engaged in.

When I was in Europe, people there love to walk. And I mean they really LOVE to walk. But then again, the weather there is quite different from the one that we have here. Whatever the case, I will be walking a bit more with my new toy!

You can read more about the pedometer at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedometer

Walk on peopleā€¦

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ps. Jeff!! (:
Did u know that if you shake it the number goes up? Haha...thought I would let you know, sorry if I spoiled your fun.

July 22, 2008 7:34 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hey rachel, it is great to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and the family :)

I know that shaking it will make the number goes up but it will not make my stomach goes down!

I want to slim down and not just record high number count in a fake way :)

July 23, 2008 10:13 am  
Blogger Tricia said...

Pastor Jeff, what's your count so far? Do tell me if it works? I would love to get one too... haha...

July 23, 2008 10:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pastor... It's the diet... I put on weight in Australia even though I exercise. I lost weight the previous time I went back to Singapore even though I indulge in so much food I want to puke after every meal always... But then, no matter how I put on weight in here, I still look small. No matter how I lose weight in sg, I still look big!

My guests drive to my spa even though it's only a 10min walk! If they like to walk so much, why does the country have the highest percentage of obese people?

Enjoy ur walk! :) Remember to rest at least 15min to 30min before you eat anything if not you'll put on double. Hehe... no joke!

July 23, 2008 12:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walking is one of the best exerices. It goes easy on the knees, unlike jogging. We should organsie a walk-a-thon in our church! RF

July 23, 2008 3:04 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Hi Tricia, now it is around 4pm. It is around 4.5km that I have covered today. Don't think you need one lah... you not big like me :)

Hey Eve, Thanks for the 15-30min wait tip. Will try my best to follow so.

Walkathon is a possible idea. It is good for fellowship as well as exercise. After walking, then we can go and indulge in a big breakfast!

July 23, 2008 3:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how fast must one walk in order for the exercise to be effective?

July 24, 2008 12:10 am  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

Good question... I just walk as per normally...

July 24, 2008 9:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so wat if good question?? answer is lousy lor

July 26, 2008 1:30 pm  
Blogger Jeff Chong said...

haha. read the next entry for more answer.

Check out this website

http://walkingrunning.suite101.com/article.cfm/10000_steps_to_healthy_weight_loss

July 26, 2008 1:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home